Which Paddles to Buy?

Stinger

• 1 month later...

OK, I am having a HELL of a time finding any USED 22" tall 10" rim haulers with 8 or 9 paddles...so I'm thinking of buying a different size.

I'm looking at:

20-10-10 8 paddle extreme

20-10-10 9 paddle hauler

20-10-10 10 paddle hauler

Which of these would best go with a 145lb rider, stock swinger, and 55-65hp engine with stock gearing?

OR I'm considering going to an 8" wheel setup. My only problem with this is I probably do 70% duning and 30% dragging so it seems the 10" is more suited for my purposes. If I end up with 8" rims, should I go for a shorter paddle to help them dune better like 20's or so? 20x11x8 or 21x11x8 for example?

I think 10 paddle will be too much.

a set of 21X10X8 10 paddle haulers on blue label.

Since you said 10 paddles would be too much, I assume you miss-typed in the 21x10x8 10 paddle in the next sentence. Did you meant 9 paddle or 8 paddle? Thanks.

I've currently got some 8 paddle Dune Runner 22x11x10 tires and they used to work pretty good with my old engine setup. I just got back from Little Sahara and when dragging, I could not get out of the hole no matter what I did. If I just put it in 2nd and dumped the clutch with it pinned, it would just spin before finally grabbing (no wheelie) but everyone would be 2-3 bike lengths out on me by the time I got rolling. I could run down and pass most of the other quads but I'd run out of track with the "drag" bikes with extended swingers...though I'd be gaining. If they would stay in it, I'd pass them another 100-200 ft past the finish. So I've got the power to be pretty damn fast if I could hook up.

I tried slipping the clutch off the line and it worked no better...bog or spin. Even just cruising around the dunes it doesn't pull wheelies unless I've got someone sitting on the back...

With stock gearing these tires are actually too tall for the power I'm making because I can't pull 6th gear in the sand...just holds speed after the shift but I plan to gear it down before the next trip. I normally run 20" tires in the dirt and can pull them in 6th no problem (88-89mph according to the street bike beside me).

One problem with getting traction is my weight of 145lbs...consider this when suggesting paddles.

If you need more info let me know, engine info is in my sig and I attached a pic of my paddles.

I'm going to buy new paddles in hopes of getting a better holeshot while still being able to cruise the dunes well. What brand/size/paddle count should I look into?

Dune Runners may be just the worst straight paddles there are. Whats done to your bike, and what is the fearing you want to run?

Dune Runners may be just the worst straight paddles there are. Whats done to your bike, and what is the fearing you want to run?

Mods are in my sig...plan to add CPI's and a bit more compression to the list. Stock gearing or maybe go 1 tooth less on the front sprocket by next spring.

Mods are in my sig...plan to add CPI's and a bit more compression to the list. Stock gearing or maybe go 1 tooth less on the front sprocket by next spring.

I would run at LEAST a 10 paddle hauler drag lite 22x11x8 or whatever the size is that cascade carries. Your bike could easily handle a 11 paddle, possibly a 12.

www.cascadeinnovations.net

That's to much tire for his setup.

Ummm, I run 22x11x8 10 paddle super lights on my bike.

Its stock motor with pro design head, 2 into 1 intake, 35mm pwk, 2 into 1 pipe, carbon tech reeds, +6" swingarm, 13/45 gearing and ebc clutch springs.

So, no he wont be over paddling his bike. Since the super lights on 8" rims dont way a whole lot, they actually do quite well on bikes with just decent bolt-ons.

If thats your bike up in your signature, and those side pipes are actually letting a ported motor breath, then you need some more paddles too.

Edited by Snopczynski

Ummm, I run 22x11x8 10 paddle super lights on my bike.

Its stock motor with pro design head, 2 into 1 intake, 35mm pwk, 2 into 1 pipe, carbon tech reeds, +6" swingarm, 13/45 gearing and ebc clutch springs.

So, no he wont be over paddling his bike. Since the super lights on 8" rims dont way a whole lot, they actually do quite well on bikes with just decent bolt-ons.

If thats your bike up in your signature, and those side pipes are actually letting a ported motor breath, then you need some more paddles too.

Ummmm yeah that is my bike in my signature and those were my old tires. I now run 12 paddles. Did you notice the guy asking the paddle question only weights 145 pounds and is running a stock length swingarm? Your running a +6 swingarm so you can get away with over paddling yours.

Ummmm yeah that is my bike in my signature and those were my old tires. I now run 12 paddles. Did you notice the guy asking the paddle question only weights 145 pounds and is running a stock length swingarm? Your running a +6 swingarm so you can get away with over paddling yours.

Holy crap! What paddles do you think mine had on it with the stock swingarm?

I weigh 151lbs. I also ate a big red candle last night. :shoothead:

He will be just fine and happy with a 10 paddle super light. Just the weight savings alone can push a bike 1.5-2 lengths further ahead of what he was doing before.

• 2 weeks later...