Xbox 360 vs PS3

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell the difference between my 360 hooked up to my composite input tv and my buds high def. I'll keep using the 360 until it get's me bored then I'll pick up a PS3 later.

Are you using the component video cables when hooking it up to a HDTV? If not, you will notice only a little difference.

And yes the blu-ray players are backwards compatible and upconvert standard dvd's to higher resolution. :thumbsup:

Are you using the component video cables when hooking it up to a HDTV? If not, you will notice only a little difference.

Yes, we used components on both TV's but my TV is not one that you can buy at your local store it was the top of the line Sony Wega with every feature imaginable even built in subs in the back, Never even seen one at a Best Buy, the picture is way better than any other normal TV I've seen. I don't have cable or a dish so HD isn't worth the money. The thing you have to remember (atleast what I read) about the PS3 and even the Xbox 360 with the HD drives is that the games are not Blue Ray or HD only the movies are unless that's changed.

Yes, we used components on both TV's but my TV is not one that you can buy at your local store it was the top of the line Sony Wega with every feature imaginable even built in subs in the back, Never even seen one at a Best Buy, the picture is way better than any other normal TV I've seen. I don't have cable or a dish so HD isn't worth the money. The thing you have to remember (atleast what I read) about the PS3 and even the Xbox 360 with the HD drives is that the games are not Blue Ray or HD only the movies are unless that's changed.

It's my understanding that PS3's games are on bluray discs. This was the sole reason to release this unit with bluray because of the large capacity of the PS3 games not fitting on any type of standard DVD media. The 1080p and 7.1 dolby digital surround takes a lot of space. They say the games will soon be in the 50 gig range.

It's my understanding that PS3's games are on bluray discs. This was the sole reason to release this unit with bluray because of the large capacity of the PS3 games not fitting on any type of standard DVD media. The 1080p and 7.1 dolby digital surround takes a lot of space. They say the games will soon be in the 50 gig range.

Yes, you are right but they used the Bluray for size not for the quality. What I read, back when I was deciding if I should wait or to get the 360 was that the PS3 needed the size but that it doesn't necessarily mean the quality will be on par with the blue ray movie. Maybe that has changed, I'm not sure. I'm not into all the technical specs on all this stuff.

Also I thought GTA IV was coming out on Xbox 360 at the same time or before PS3 does anybody know if that's still the case?

50gig range i dont see how im a big computer person and i have yet to see even the biggest games get over 10gigs. Not to mention they already have HD games for the computer and im pretty sure they arent over 10gigs. As a matter of fact take oblivion its known to have some of the best grapics out there and if you know the density of the game its huge and it comes in at 4.5gb. Computers are much more advanced in the graphics now that the Nvidia 8800GTX came out. Give it alittle more time and youll see the 9000+ come out and those systems wont be able to match nor even attempt to keep up in the graphics department. Not to mention they already have HD games for the computer and im pretty sure they arent over 10gigs. blah blah whole other issue haha i guess ill stop talking now...

You guys are also forgetting that the ps3 is bluetooth capable also. That's how you connect the controllers. But this means so much more as far as interfacing with other devices being that most phones, cars, and computers all have bluetooth capabilities. You can now connect all these devices via no-wires and up to 33 feet away.

Also, many of you are complaining about the price tag. You can buy a ps3 as an investment. Example: xbox360 came out around the same time last year. When they sold out all the rich kids who really wanted one were paying triple the price on ebay. With Christmas coming around and all the ps3's almost sold out, people will be having bidding wars over them (remember tickle me elmo?)

Edited by owmyeye

Yes, you are right but they used the Bluray for size not for the quality. What I read, back when I was deciding if I should wait or to get the 360 was that the PS3 needed the size but that it doesn't necessarily mean the quality will be on par with the blue ray movie. Maybe that has changed, I'm not sure. I'm not into all the technical specs on all this stuff.

Also I thought GTA IV was coming out on Xbox 360 at the same time or before PS3 does anybody know if that's still the case?

Quality and size go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other. This is the reason you can't put a high def movie on standard dvd's. You would get only about 20 mins of the movie. The higher the resolution the more data the disc must hold. A standard blu-ray disc will hold 25gigs, dual layered 50gig. A hd dvd will hold 15 and 30gigs respectively. This is the reason blu-ray can offer movies in 1080p vs hd dvd's 720p capability because the disc can hold more data that the higher resolution requires. 1080p requires twice the data as a standard 720p signal.

50gig range i dont see how im a big computer person and i have yet to see even the biggest games get over 10gigs. Not to mention they already have HD games for the computer and im pretty sure they arent over 10gigs. As a matter of fact take oblivion its known to have some of the best grapics out there and if you know the density of the game its huge and it comes in at 4.5gb. Computers are much more advanced in the graphics now that the Nvidia 8800GTX came out. Give it alittle more time and youll see the 9000+ come out and those systems wont be able to match nor even attempt to keep up in the graphics department. Not to mention they already have HD games for the computer and im pretty sure they arent over 10gigs. blah blah whole other issue haha i guess ill stop talking now...

Don't quote me on this but I believe it has to do with media compression and decompression between the console and the pc's. It doesn't require near the agu/cpu resources to operate a console as effectively as a pc.

Of course. I already put down the deposit. BTW, for those of you who are going to get one, if your already shelling out 500 for the 20gig hard drive, pay the extra 100 for the 60 gig hard drive. You'll not only get everything that comes with the 20 gig version, but it will also be wi-fi capable and have a removable slot for memory cards/sticks. Plus, unlike the xbox360, the online gaming will be free (all you need is an internet connection).