Cylinder hones

GEEZR

Has anyone ever used one of those spring loaded cylinder hones on their shee, you know the kind that attaches to your electric drill that your average Joe Shmo gets from the auto parts store?

I'm just wondering if the time should ever come when I need to rebuild my top end that I could save $ by doing it myself. Or would I just be better off sending my cyl's out to a shop?

Thanks for any input. Oh, yeah , I believe Pep Boys sells them for about $29.95 :blush:

If you are just putting in a new set of rings, that type of hone would work better than the one with all the little balls.

But if you are thinking of honing the bore from stock to the first over (64.25mm). NO Take them to a machine shop to get them bored.

For just a re-ring hone I would do it myself. I have used both the spring loaded ones and the ball-tip hones and i like the ball-tip hone. Take your time and do it right. Don't rush on stuff and it will pay off in the end. You can do most things to your shee on your own with a good set of tools.