off topic: raptor 80 intake restrictor removal.

csrmel

i just bought a raptor 80 the other day for my 9 and 7 year old nephiew and neice to tool around on. on yamahas website they mention a removable intake restrictor that can be removed to gain more power. i pulled the air filter out and i couldnt see any restrictor.

anyone have a clue where it is?

Hi Csrmel:

Unless you are the Auto Technician asking the same question on The Power Sports Network you are not alone. However, the question remains to be answered. Yamaha definately suggests it is possible. I suppose you've looked in the owner's manual which is where I would expect the procedure to be.

Have you asked your dealer for a service manual? I haven't been able to find them available online for anything newer than 2004s. I wonder if Yamaha makes you go through the dealer for so-called late model machines.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, it's okay to admit you ride an 80cc 4-stroke... :thumbsup: :laugh:

-Bill

Edited by STLBILL

it is behind the wire mesh that supports the foam filter element. there should be a rubber gasket around the mesh, so it takes a tiny effort to get it off, but you arent going to fuck anything up.

anything else you need to know about that bike? i work on them, and own an 87(?). solid little bike, the only thing about them is the rearend. make sure the two nuts that hold the axle tight, are tight. and check the oil level here and there.

it is behind the wire mesh that supports the foam filter element. there should be a rubber gasket around the mesh, so it takes a tiny effort to get it off, but you arent going to fuck anything up.

anything else you need to know about that bike? i work on them, and own an 87(?). solid little bike, the only thing about them is the rearend. make sure the two nuts that hold the axle tight, are tight. and check the oil level here and there.

I was wondering about that on my daughters also

thanks gimme

im not on the powersports network.

i did take the filter and mesh out to have a look in the airbox. i didnt see any rubber gasket around the mesh or anything that looked removable for that matter.

can ya elaborate?

yamaha dealer was most unhelpfull. all they wanted to do was sell me some oil and sparkplugs.

can ya elaborate?

yamaha dealer was most unhelpfull. all they wanted to do was sell me some oil and sparkplugs.

if there is nothing between the foam support wire mesh and the intake snorkle then it has already been removed. The piece you are looking for is black plastics with 4 ~.250" holes drilled in it. It should be in the airbox, and if you cant look through the intake tract and see the carb slide you dont have it far enough apart. Like I said above, you arent going to ruin anything in there unless you break out the BFH, so dont be afraid to prod a little.