I know this is the wrong place

Skidmark

I tried to post this on yfzhq but it wouldnt let me.

I'm planing on getting a yfz sometime in the future, and I was just wondering what all I should do to it to set it up for motocross. I know about the suspension and everything but, I just need some options. There are so many different setups its too confusing. I heard as long as you got good suspension you dont really have to go into the motor. Thanks for any help. :beer:

Tires and suspension...you got that covered.

I'd at the very least get a good midrange pipe, open up the airbox (no lid) and K&N Filter...and either do the cam mod on your stock cams (they retard or advance the exhaust cam 1 tooth, I think...not 100% sure) or get a good set of aftermarket cams.

You'll have a good motor then... spending time dialing in your tires and suspension will net you the biggest gain of all. Most motorcross tracks have a section or two where a dragster motor would come in handy...other than that, it's jumps and turns....

Cam mod is retarding the exhaust cam by 1 tooth :beer:

A stock yfz450 can be run at an MX track like it is...the shocks are adjustable so you can adjust them for how you ride...I would play with what you have first before spending a large chunk of money on aftermarket upgrades. I've seen people take some SERIOUS jumps on a 450 right out of the box. After you ride it you'll know what you want to change, if anything.

I would get some better tires and play with the shock settings before changing anything...ride it a few times, see where you need the improvement and start from there

There is a lot of good info on www.yfzcentral.com :beer:

depends on what class you are going to be riding in. i would go with a pipe and airfilter. and then get some good MX tires. i got the holshot mxr6's and they hook up amazing, thats what i would go with if i where you. but like what was said up above is go with stock shocks for a while they will do pretty good for a while.but if i where getting a pipe for a yfz i would get a sparks.

Edited by ThE_BaNsHeE_mAn88

Me and my dad are currently looking a buying an 06' yfz with an fmf 4.1 exhaust system, lonestar steering stem, lonestar adjustable axle, Elka elites, janssen outlaw arms, pro armor nerfs, gytr front bumper, gytr grab bar, AC skid plate, pro taper bars (did 06's come stock with these?),kenda klaws on rear with douglas baja wheels, holeshot mxr4's on black label's on the front. I think it also has some clutch work. Motor is awesome, not much time on it other than break-in.

$7000

What do you guys think?

Suspension, suspension, tires, steering stabilizer, handlebars, nerf bars, killswitch, and suspension. That's what MX is all about. If your suspension isn't set up right, you can't get any traction, and your hands are getting knocked off the handlebars you aren't going to win a race.

I went out onto the track with a stock YFZ (besides, nerf bars, killswitch, handlebars, Dr. D slip-on, Pro-Flow intake and the airbox lid off) and kept up with and beat all highly modified quads, including a KFX400 that was completely set up for MX (had to be at least 4 grand into the suspension alone) and the Yoshimura 450 kit that Doug Gust ran in his Z400. I would've won both races had my suspension been properly set up (didn't touch my suspension) so I was bottoming out on every large jump (cleared everything). Ended up getting a DNF on the second heat because I kept hurting my wrist from bottoming out (fractured my left wrist a few years ago) so I got off the track after I thought I broke it again landing. This was only my second time racing and the first time was 2 years ago on a stock 400EX on a horrible sandy MX track.

So I like I said, suspension is what you need to focus on. A stock 450 has PLENTY of power to get you around the track, but if your suspension can't handle it you could be pumping out all the horsepower in the world and you still wouldn't be able to win that race. I would say a good revalve for the fronts for some +2 a-arms and a revalve and linkage for the rear should get you going until you gain some experience in racing.

And as for that '06, I'd say go for it, especially if you could knock the price down a little bit. I got my '05 SE for $6950 back when it was brand new.