1988 4runner help

SimplyWired

You guys all seem to know alot about the Banshee's, I thought maybe someone can help me with a problem I'm haveing with one of my trucks

1988 Toytoa 4-runner

2.4L with 20k on rebuilt motor

Fuel injected

When it's cold, the engine runs very rough. It has a low idle. When you try to accellerate, it almost feels like the parking brake is stuck on then at about 3500 rpm you can feel the truck jolt and start to run normal.

On a very rare occasion, maybe once every other month, when I go to start it cold it will blow off the air filter hose that goes to the throttle body. Back fire I guess.

If the enigine's allready warm, everything is fine, idle's great and accellerates great too.

I do not get any trouble codes, the engine light never comes on.

Any idea's of what I should be looking for?

Thanks

well this is a shot in the dark but who rebuilt the motor???

did the put the mains on the right way and the rod caps?? what about the bearings are they stock bearings or did you have the crank turned (.0010 over?)

anyway let me know

and welcome 2 the site :baseball_original:

l

That engine is a 2.2L 22RE. Rods, mains, bearings etc will make no difference. Sounds like a timing issue when cold. I'd start with the water temp sensor & timing. Might be a quirky cold start program running due to a bad temp sensor providing bad data to the ecu... Good luck.

Yeah, thats what came to my mind with the hose blowing off, was bad timing. I think that tranny may be computer controlled as well and if the ecu is getting bad signals then that may explain why it soesn't move until it hits 3500 RPM's. The tranny thing may be a bad seal in the valve body if it is a auto, and the preasure bleeds down. But once the 3500 rpm's are reached or the tranny heats up, the seal may seat better, or the pressure may be high enough to accelerate the tranny. If it is a manual tranny, thats a cat of a different color. We need more info to help ya out............... :beer:

Shit, another 4runner owner on the HQ. I would try yotatech.com Those guys are super helpful, they helped me out a shitload with my 3rd gen. They are awesome over there, you just can't curse or they'll ban you. :baseball_bat: I don;t know too too much about the 22re other then it's a fuel injected 2.2L I4. You should have a timing belt I beleive, don't think they had timing chains. Check to see what condition the timing belt is in. If it's frayed, etc. It might be slipping. Also, your injectors might be dirty, there is a slew of things that could cause this problem. Try the first gen section at yotatech, they would know a lot more then I would. Good luck bro,

By the way, what size tires you pushin'?

Edited by LiftdT4R