Painting frame?

Jfranke

I'm going to be taking the engine apart here soon to rebuild the top, check clutch, and true weld crank. So while I have the bike apart I thought about doing something about the rusty spots on the frame. My dad is the manager of a Auto Body shop here in town and I'm thinking about getting it painted. I don't want anything clear coated. I want a paint job that I/the painters at my dads work could do that will be TOUGH and Black. I'm thinking that just regular prime and paint will chip, So do you guys know of a product that I could use to spray on the frame that I can buy at a hardware store? Something that will last and not chip if done right.

Thanks, Josh

I'm going to be taking the engine apart here soon to rebuild the top, check clutch, and true weld crank. So while I have the bike apart I thought about doing something about the rusty spots on the frame. My dad is the manager of a Auto Body shop here in town and I'm thinking about getting it painted. I don't want anything clear coated. I want a paint job that I/the painters at my dads work could do that will be TOUGH and Black. I'm thinking that just regular prime and paint will chip, So do you guys know of a product that I could use to spray on the frame that I can buy at a hardware store? Something that will last and not chip if done right.

Thanks, Josh

car paint and it will still chip no matter what you do .... if u use cheap walmart spray paint or somethin it will just chip fast and collect dirt . car paint is the best way and only way ...

Overall man id powdercoat it . spend the extra cash , you will be happy with teh result

yep, for an off road vehicle, thats going to see rocks and sand and stuff that will chip/scratch/knick metal parts...then powder coating is the most durable of your choices.

or you could have it rhinolined. the stuff they use in truck bed liners if you want ultimate protection

but if paint is the only way to go. auto paint would be the best bet

i recently went through and sandblasted and painted my frame and arms. i put three coats and three coats of clear. it chips pretty easily. but the primer wont chip off. if i were to do it again id get it powder coated for sure. my thinking was "itll look good for a couple years then ill blast and powder coat". but the amount of effort in removing all bearings and sandblasting makes me not want to eff with it for a long time.

pc is the only way i say

Just got the DL from one of the painters at my dad's Body shop, his son PC'd his banshee and had problems when a weld broke, plus if I ever need to repare a spot, powder coating is a pain to get off. So he told me that there are enough good clears and paints out there now that if we prep and prime good, we can get a good result and it will last. Luckily I know all these guys at the shop cause I worked there for 3+ years so he's going to help me do it for free :headbang: I'll let you all know how it goes, can't wait to see what she looks like with the black frame!

I used vinyl wash for bare metal primer (etching primer), epoxy primer, 2 coats silver base, 3 coats of pearl blue and 4 coats high build clear, I find it very durable, and like you say, if you have problems with the pc or a crack or what ever, your screwed. A buddy of mine had his frame PC'd and the guy did a terrible job, now he's stuck with it.