Hey guys

iceman

Hello guys. Ive been gone for a while. Ive been really busy with my music. I'm moving to California Saturday and I'm auditioning to go around the U.S. on tour! So thats cool. Anyways. I'm putting the shee back together before I go. I've got it back together besides the plastics but the compression in each cylinder is only 100. I thought it would be around 150 or so. It doesnt sound like its losing air anywhere though. I also removed my T.O.R.S and I lost the instructions. I removed the box but I thought I had to clip a wire as well. Wasn't it a yellow one or something? I also removed my airbox and I'm since I'm moving I don't know what jets I should be using. I'll probably riding Pismo and Cow Mountain mostly. Around those places. So if anyone could help me out that would be great so I can get riding when I get back to Cali. I was also wondering if it was okay to mix oil viscosity? I put 1 liter of 80w in but I didn't get another liter so I need another half or so. Can I just use any other oil? Thanks.

Sorry to say...but cancel your trip unless you're gonna burn the midnight oil.

A few things might have happend if you JUST put this together.

Wrong or improper bore size/piston used...or improper clearances.

Do you have the arrow on tops of the pistons facing the exhaust port?

Did you put the rings on the pistons correctly (Making sure each of the rings was correctly seated around the alignment pin)

Did you use new or old base gaskets and/or head gasket?

I'd get new base and head gaskets...have the cylinders and pistons mic'd for proper clearance, and use some yamabond on the base gasket, light light coat.

Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry before doing any work...

Torque 'em down, and try it again.

Second, what kind of compression tester are you using? If it's an el cheapo...you could be getting bad readings. Craftsman carries a small engine compression tester for about 50 or 60 bucks, might be a worthwhile investment, as well....

If all this turns out ok....you need to get a leak down tester....

thanks. I'm using a 12 dollar compression tester. Now im getting about 95 on the left and 115 on the right. I made sure I did all the piston stuff correct, and I used all new gaskets. I might try torquing everything down again to be sure. The left plug is wet and smells like gas but the right is clean and doesnt really smell too. Both carbs are opening and everything but I the jetting is stock. I'm not sure about the piston clearance though. They are timed right if thats what that is. I'm thinking of taking it into the shop just to get it running. But will a shop work on it even if I removed the TORS? I clipped the wires for that and got rid of the box. Thanks.

Have them fix it...since you're on such a tight time frame.

Also...have them test teh compression.

My buddy used an el cheapo tester on his triple sled.

Each cylinder was off from the next by like 15 to 25 lbs.

It shouldn't have even ran....but, with a snap on tester, mint...within 2 to 3 lbs of each other and it has 8K miles on it....