jetting help close but not there yet old style fmf pipes

bigbill

i need help with my jetting here is what i have 1996 banshee fresh rebuild complete motor i am on the 2nd tank of gas. i use klotz oil at 50:1 /94 oct. i have k&n air filtir air box lid on i have v-force reeds fmf pipe old style kind of thin all black i believe they are high rev also fmf tail pipe power core. my main jet is 270 needle clip on number 4 one from top /piolet jet is 27.5 . i am having trouble with taking off from a stand still i have to pump the throttle to keep it from quiting and just befor i hit the power band i have to do the same thing to get it to kick in.once i do that bike feels good.the bike will also idle but sounds alittle low im not sure if i should bump up the slides.any tricks on how to make sure slides hieght is balanced any certian measurement to use like a dowl pin .i live in buffalo,ny im not sure of the elevation thanks for the help!

Two things.

With the airbox lid still on, put the stock pilot back in...I don't care what FMF says.

Second, they make a tool called a syncrometer. PM or call Jeff of FAST racing on here, it's a priceless tool.

FASTOYS is his screen name....

You use it to set idle, then give it about 1/4 throttle or so, and check again to make sure they're pulling the same amount of air through 'em...

I'd also put the needle back to the middle spot. It sounds like you're really rich off the bottom.

For that matter, 270 sounds rich on the main with the airbox lid still on.

What do your plugs look like? I'd bet they're dark....

I think you're rich on the jetting. Put the stock pilots back in first.

Warm the bike up on old plugs. Then, put new ones in...and do a plug chop. In the top of this page, there's a stick on how to jet/read plugs. Read that carefully...it'll tell you all you need to know about reading the plugs, how to tune by 'em and how they should look.

Get to it!!

:)

If you plan on riding in mud and water, leave the lid on with holes and filters for them.

If you just plan on riding in dirt/dust, remove the lid. However, the lid helps hold the filter on and seal it. You will need to buy a pro-flow or similar adapter to bolt the filter to the front of the airbox for it to seal properly without the lid.

Your call.