Top End Banshee Rebuild Questions

I have a 1989 Banshee and it is sounding a little loose on the top end. I think that the rings may be going out. I would like to rebuild the top end of the motor. I really don't know where to start. I need to know if I should buy a rebuild kit or if I should get the individual parts what is going to be most benneficial as far a performance inhancement and also to pep it up a little bit. I guess all I am looking for is someone who could maybe e mail me any information that they might have or instructions or even a helpful website. Thanks a lot! hank0130@aol.com

hey man first of all welcome aboard! 2nd, this is THE website when it comes to help for ur bike! there are alot of guys on here who are reputable builders and that really know there stuff as well as many others who do as well. i myself just rebuilt my top end. as long as u get everything u need the only major tool u need is a torque wrench. do not do it without one. the head and cyclinders should be torqued according to specs. i'm sure many others will be chiming in here but if u need a few pointers pm me or keep the thread alive. the right way to do it is to pull the cyclinders off as well to make sure theres no scarring even if it's minor and u can only tell by checkin ur bores and mic'in everything. cas u may need a bore and hone. so what are u waiting for, get rippin her apart!

I have a 1989 Banshee and it is sounding a little loose on the top end. I think that the rings may be going out. I would like to rebuild the top end of the motor. I really don't know where to start. I need to know if I should buy a rebuild kit or if I should get the individual parts what is going to be most benneficial as far a performance inhancement and also to pep it up a little bit. I guess all I am looking for is someone who could maybe e mail me any information that they might have or instructions or even a helpful website. Thanks a lot! hank0130@aol.com

Take the cylinders off .Check for deep scratches and other damage.Go to a machine shop have them measured and they can even bore them to see what it will take to clean the taper and any other damage up.Then go to magicracing.com and buy the wiseco kit to fit the bore your going to be at and hone the shop hone the cylinders out to fit each piston and mark which one goes with the other.

Edited by RILS

cool man i just got through doing mine as well... as far as you know has the bottom end ever been rebuilt? if not you might look into that , being the age of your bike...cost a pretty penny and alot more time to do it but youll learn ALOT about your bike by the time your done.. if your bottom end is good take off your jugs ( cylinders ) and have them cleanedup... if they are good then all you will need to do is have them honed... if they have scratches or anything your going to need to bore them over... also look at getting them ported if they are not done already... there are many types of porting for many types of riding... its all user prefferance.. after your jugs are done have the guys mic them and tell you the size of the bore... that will determine what piston size you need. any shop or reputable builder can tell you what size to get per the mic of your jugs... and get your self a clymers manual it is good to have around when your learning... it will take you step by step... youl also need a feeler gauge you can get one at sears for like 10 bucks... depending on your bore size will depend on how much gap you need. it will tell you in the papers with your pistons how to determine.. mine was .009 to .012 so i went .011 and you will set your ring gaps to that after that pop the rings on and connect them to the rods... making sure you have them with the arrows facing the exhaust ports then slide the jugs over the pistons and bolt down and toruqe down... there are many mods you can addd while your motor is apart but it all depends on how much money you can afford... ppl will tell you cool heads and strokers and clutches and so on and so on but if you cant afford it or just really dont need it for your type of riding dont waste your money... if you are the least bit mechanically inclined DO IT YOUR SELF!!! youll save a lot and learn alot.. that clymers will walk you through it step by step... if you got any questions drop me a pm and ill be glad to help you out... i just got through rebuilding mine a few weeks ago...

Man, I strongly recommend you to buy the Clymer's Repair Manual, it's $32 and will save you $100's on shop repairs.

I did the top end on mine using the manual, it guides you step by step, screw by screw... it has a lot of pictures and diagrams...

it should be called The Bible of Banshee Repairs

It is definetly worth every penny.