banshee wont idle/backfires

macho

first off it is very hard to start.i can usually only start it if i spray starter fluid in the carbs through the air box.then once it starts it wants to turn right off.even if i put throttle fully open.you hear it bogging and it shuts off. :angry: i have no clue what to do.can anyone help.i changed the plugs there new.i cleaned the air filter..i even cleaned out my carbs.well to the best of my knowledge..i believe the carbs r stock.and i have t5s.

first off it is very hard to start.i can usually only start it if i spray starter fluid in the carbs through the air box.then once it starts it wants to turn right off.even if i put throttle fully open.you hear it bogging and it shuts off. :angry: i have no clue what to do.can anyone help.i changed the plugs there new.i cleaned the air filter..i even cleaned out my carbs.well to the best of my knowledge..i believe the carbs r stock.and i have t5s.

Do a compression test.It sounds like its time for a topend.

Was it running good then al the sudden this started?

Has it been slowly getting harder to start?

Have you touched anything, then it acted up?

Do a compression test to check your topend. Need more info to tell you other things to check.

:beer:

Was it running good then al the sudden this started?

Has it been slowly getting harder to start?

Have you touched anything, then it acted up?

Do a compression test to check your topend. Need more info to tell you other things to check.

:beer:

to tell you the truth i bought the bike from someone.all i know is that it has the toomey t5s on it.

and yes it really dont start at all unless i put starter fluid into the carbs..

to tell you the truth i bought the bike from someone.all i know is that it has the toomey t5s on it.

and yes it really dont start at all unless i put starter fluid into the carbs..

Your floats in the carbs could be stuck or just set where they wont let any fuel in the bowls.You can check this by draining the bowls and blowing in the fuel inlet in the carbs if you cant blow thourgh them then they need setting.You need to do a compression test,this could be your problem,but if you arent getting any fuel then the compression wot matter.

Your floats in the carbs could be stuck or just set where they wont let any fuel in the bowls.You can check this by draining the bowls and blowing in the fuel inlet in the carbs if you cant blow thourgh them then they need setting.You need to do a compression test,this could be your problem,but if you arent getting any fuel then the compression wot matter.

cool.the compression test is done with a tire gauge right?you take off the spark plug and put the tire guage in there and kick the bike like 5 times right?how much should the gauge read?

cool.the compression test is done with a tire gauge right?you take off the spark plug and put the tire guage in there and kick the bike like 5 times right?how much should the gauge read?

No a compression test is done with a compression tester.You can pick one up at about any auto parts store for 30bucks or so.It should read over 100psi if you dont need a rebuild.You kick the bike with the throttle wide open and the switch off untill it reaches the point where its not getting any higher.

No a compression test is done with a compression tester.You can pick one up at about any auto parts store for 30bucks or so.It should read over 100psi if you dont need a rebuild.You kick the bike with the throttle wide open and the switch off untill it reaches the point where its not getting any higher.

thats the name of it compression tester?and i should be able to get it any a rs strause or pep boy?

and i dont thimk my kill switch works.could that be a prob?

thats the name of it compression tester?and i should be able to get it any a rs strause or pep boy?

and i dont thimk my kill switch works.could that be a prob?

YEs you can get it at any auto part store.Take a plug with you and get the fitting that screws in the sp hole the same leanth as the threads on the plug this will give you a accurate reading.Just take both the plugs out and screw the tester in and kick it with the throttle wide open.Check those floats first and see if thats not your problem,even if it is go ahead and buy the com.tester you will need it in the future.

Edited by RILS

YEs you can get it at any auto part store.Take a plug with you and get the fitting that screws in the sp hole the same leanth as the threads on the plug this will give you a accurate reading.Just take both the plugs out and screw the tester in and kick it with the throttle wide open.Check those floats first and see if thats not your problem,even if it is go ahead and buy the com.tester you will need it in the future.

i just went to my bike.and like i said it wouldnt start without starter fluid...but what i did now was blew air in through the long line in the bottom of the carband the bike started up..and it wouldnt idle unless i held the choke wide open..unless i stood there holding the choke wide open it would shut off.but if i held it it stood on.does this help you?

Stop using the starting fluid to start that bike...

Take off the carbs, remove all jets, floats, needle and seat, and clean the shit out of them.

Then...reassemble 'em. Do each one at a time, so you don't switch parts.

Then, sync them back up properly (make sure the slides open at the same time) and see where that gets you.

i just went to my bike.and like i said it wouldnt start without starter fluid...but what i did now was blew air in through the long line in the bottom of the carband the bike started up..and it wouldnt idle unless i held the choke wide open..unless i stood there holding the choke wide open it would shut off.but if i held it it stood on.does this help you?

Allright he's rite quit using the starter fluid.Your carbs definatly need cleaning.When you put the bowls back on after cleaning the carbs blow through the fuel inlet and I set mine where i can blow through them freely,I just set them high enogh where they dont leak thourgh the overflow tubes.You set them by bending the little tab thats between the floats,youll see it.It moves up and down with the float it has a little wire thing on it that conects it too the float valve that controls flow of fuel into yhe bowl.Dont bend it much at the time it doesent take much to make a big differnce.

Allright he's rite quit using the starter fluid.Your carbs definatly need cleaning.When you put the bowls back on after cleaning the carbs blow through the fuel inlet and I set mine where i can blow through them freely,I just set them high enogh where they dont leak thourgh the overflow tubes.You set them by bending the little tab thats between the floats,youll see it.It moves up and down with the float it has a little wire thing on it that conects it too the float valve that controls flow of fuel into yhe bowl.Dont bend it much at the time it doesent take much to make a big differnce.

is this why it only idles/stays on with the choke pulled all the way?

DO the comp check 1ST!! if u got the money get rid of the stock carbs and go to aftermarket ones!EBAY or someone on here could hook u up!

DO the comp check 1ST!! if u got the money get rid of the stock carbs and go to aftermarket ones!EBAY or someone on here could hook u up!

There is nothing wrong with the stock carbs, they work well..once you remove the TORS.

I agree...bigger carbs are better for performance...but, I wouldn't be buying them to troubleshoot.

Make sure you remove the Main, Pilot and needle and seat and clean them all very well...

You can just tip the stockers upside down, and set the floats level...

The bottom of the float (top side when upside down) is suppoed to be 21mm higher than the gasket surface...and keep in mind...the needle itself is spring loaded, make sure you're not pushing that spring in when setting the height or you'll get a false reading...