NEW GUY NEEDS SOME HELP?

I don't think you can port the cages on the VForce 3. Really...port the stockers or buy VF3s.

If you can port the VF3s...I've yet to hear or read about it...

200 bucks for brand new, in the box shipped is a good price.

I saw them for 189.99 a while back, plus shipping...cheapest I've seen.

They're 219.00 plus shipping from Magic...

Again, if they are new and in the box...

Generally...people buy reed spacers when they get larger carbs to clear the clutch arm below...

You should be fine without 'em...

I don't think you can port the cages on the VForce 3. Really...port the stockers or buy VF3s.

If you can port the VF3s...I've yet to hear or read about it...

200 bucks for brand new, in the box shipped is a good price.

I saw them for 189.99 a while back, plus shipping...cheapest I've seen.

They're 219.00 plus shipping from Magic...

Again, if they are new and in the box...

Generally...people buy reed spacers when they get larger carbs to clear the clutch arm below...

You should be fine without 'em...

The VF 3's will make a big difference compaired to stock reeds. If your going to start adding more power thru add on's you might think about getting the crank trued & welded down the road. I would say if money permits, get a port job. You will love it !!!

Ok no porting on the vforce3's......got it......so lets re-cap a little......the cool head is a given....dlnoss says 50/50 race gas pump gas mix with the 20cc domes and i'm good.......so here's my next question.......should i go with the timing advance and the bigger jets for a good power gain? Or should I go ahead and get the port job done......I know absolutly nothing about porting....what would i need to do to set up the bike if i got a dune port job...do i have to swap carbs. then? i would like to stay with the stock carbs for the time being.....so the other option is to get ported......do the cool head and re-jett.......i also would have to do some research about the engine shops around here to do the port job....don't want just anyone doing that work.....how much does that run?????for as dune setup? :shrug:

Whooaa...slow down there...

VForce 3's give a slightly noticeable jump with a non-ported motor. They really shine on a ported motor.

Porting bascially changes how the gas/air gets in your engine...and get's out.

It does both more effeciently.

Your builder will hopefully ask you the right questions about how you want the power delivered...all top, more mid and top...more low and mid...or a combo of any of those...

That will tell them how to port your cylinders.

You shouldn't have to rejet for the cool head. You will more than likely have to rejet for the porting...

At the top of this forum is a Jetting FAQ...it is fantastic reading for you..

However...that being said, that article is a baseline only... No two machines are the same...period.

Plenty of people get thier stuff ported and keep the stock carbs, plenty more buy big aftermarket carbs....

Most will tell you, for dune and drag racing bigger carbs are a good idea...since you're spending the majority of the time 1/2 to WOT throttle...bigger carbs flow more and make more power.

That being said...in my opinion, and that is MY opinion, bigger carbs are not a great idea UNTIL you get porting...

In other words, bigger carbs are great...but, they shouldn't be one of the first mods...they are icing on the cake...where porting is the batter...

Hope that helps.

Ok i get the jist if this deal here. so like i said before....i am for sure doing the cool head with the 20cc domes. Got that set in stone. My real toss up is what to do in addition to the cool head.....if you say that the porting is the batter and carbs are the icing......then i think i'm still setting the ingredients out on the counter.....hahaha not even close to a batter yet....haha i really appreciate your time explaining this stuff to me....i got the basics already just want to make educated decisions when it comes to my Banshee....i want solid reliable MODS...you know what i mean.

So in your opinion what is the best line to take to compliment my cool head and 20cc domes.....advance the timing, and do the reeds.........or port and polish????? also i've been reading that i can increase main jet size from my 310 to 340 with the airbox removed and the dual K+N's for a nice increase........

Bud, I was in your exact shoes when I bought my 99, in um, 99. Anyway, after much trial and error, and now that I have 3 Banshees I have some knowledge here. The order I would do your mods, on a stock machine is: ( buy a Clymers repair manual asap)

1. If you dont ride water/mud dual K and Ns', if you do get a pro design plate and foam filter for your air box

2. pipes of your choice

3. cool head with the domes of your choice 21's or 20's on a stock machine should do you good.

4. better rear tires.

5. port your stock cages and get some good reeds, TDR comes to mind, or some v-force reeds.

6. When your top end goes get it bored and ported and start over with carbs, a longer swingarm blah blah blah.

It never ends.

Ok.....i'm not a total dummy......i have a single K+N with outerwear.....no lid on the box....i installed 310 main jets, toomey t-6 pipes and silencers, and the toomey needle with the air screw 1 1/2 turns out......rode it all this past season in the dunes and loved it......learned a lot and am ready to step it up a notch......so the cool head with 20cc domes and a 4 degree timing advance will be my first step for this offseason.....i'm going to do the impellar also while i'm in there....and have boonman lighten my flywheel and do the shift star.......then maybe later in the season this year i'll do the reeds or something like that.....i'll keep you all posted. thanks for the input....... :notworthy: