Starting up the passion stroker

Capone

Went to start her up today, I don't have the chain on, or even the swing arm, but I wanted to hear it run, and kicked her over a few times, and got a backfire. Thats it. I pulled the plugs I'm not getting spark. Whats the gap between the flywheel and pickup supposed to be- because mine's got a decent space between them. I also cut out all the TORS wiring, using the wiring diagram out of the clymers, i dunno if It got spark before the rebuild, so where's a good place to start? The stator is brand new. I'm getting a wire tester tonight, to poke around see what i find.

Edited by Passion99

how the hell do I adjust the gap between pickup and stator? if you're talking about a closed matchbook, then it fits.... ;x. Rebel sold me this lightened flywheel, and I'm starting to think the 3 parts on it are smashed down to far, or someshit... I dunno. I got a probe power testor I'm not getting any light comming on when I kick it from any prong on the stator so I'm going to pull the cover and mess with it.

Well, I went to adjust the pickup coil and the fucking screw broke. so I drilled it out real big and threw a bigger screw in there, i managed to get it a little closer than it was... anyway I get spark now.. but its still spitting and backfiring but not starting. Well Jim told me to start with 160 mains and 55 pilots... well I checked jetting cause I was told thats what it had in it when I bought them, those exact jets, turns out one is a 175 main and 38 pilot, the other is a 170 main 35 pilot, any chance this could cause it to not start? Also maybe my timing is set too high? its at like ~+6. Give me some input!

btw, I don't think its at .030 but I'm getting spark, should I force it to .030 or .020?

Edited by Passion99

155-162 sounds like a decent start on the mains. When someone said matchbook, they meant just the cover that opens, not the whole matchbook. If you can fit a whole matchbook between the two, you are way off. You need to get a set of feeler guages. +6 on the timing should be great. Listen to what Jim has to say, he knows his stuff. If you have more questions about your setup, don't be afraid to ask Jim, that should be part of the services you hired him for.

regardless of what jetting you have, rich or lean, it should start anyway.......Put the pickup as close as you can get it without touching.....It will not hurt anything.....the backfiring could be too large gap between the reeds and the cages or NOT opening at all.....check these things and also it sounds like your unsure about the flywheel....if the flywheel is just slightly damaged (even where the naked eye can't see the damage) it will NOT work effectivly....I suggest getting a new one....

Ok, I'm getting spark, (adjusted the pickup) I kick it over... both plugs light up like a xmas tree. Now... I bought a $20 compression tester from ORieleys auto parts (Piece of shit i think) but reguardless the left cyl read 120lbs and the right read 145. With my setup I should be around 175... I'm starting to worry now. I replaced the jets, I also mixed my gas at 24:1 for a break in, maybe thats why it wont start? Its a fresh bore by a reputable machine shop, top end is brand new... the vforce reeds are brand new, I just threw them in, I don't have to change anything on them do I? I have reed spacers I can put in...? I've always ran stock cages...

I'm kind of lost on where to start...

Ok, I went back out after writing this post....

I changed timing to a 0 tried it, nothing. Reeds are flexing, and opening when kicked. Its getting fuel. Getting air. Getting spark... just not firing. head squish clearance was .030 when I checked it.

I changed timing to a +7, remixed the gas to a 40:1, even sprayed some starter fluid in the cyl. actually it was brake parts cleaner, but w/e. got the pickup coil to .012. It doesn't even sound like a banshee's supposed to when its being kicked, it sounds weak, no pinging, no nothing. I'm fucking awestruck, and its soon to be turned into one hell of an ebay auction. Any comments are appreciated.

Edited by Passion99

Plugs won't matter as far as starting, but ok, if your compression is that low & diff, you got top end probs,,,,,even if it's a cheap gauge, it will be somewhat accurate to a point.....You did hold throttle wide open when kicking liking a mad man right?? If not, the reading will NOT be accurate at all....also, make sure you're filters are NOT full of oil and breathing well enough.....just a couple pointers.....It's something simple you're overlooking, wish you were closer to me.....I would get it figured out for ya.....