just how restrictive is the stock air box?

i was wondering if anyone has hooked up a water vacuum gauge to the stock box to measure the restriction in the stock box, snorkel, etc, while riding around?

i have t5's on my quad and because of the fact that i frequently cross water, mud etc, i feel i should keep the stock box and snorkel. however i wonder how much potential i am losing by keeping the stock setup.

Edited by csrmel

eeek.. man lose the snorkle your really hurting performance with that thing on. if you have an after market airfilter k&n/uni get an outerwares and you should be fine to take the airbox lid off. only way i see needing the airbox lid or snorkle is if you are going through water as high as the seat and that i wouldnt recomend to begin with.

well if you have stock air filters dont take that cover off because it helps keep the stock filter in place. If you want you can cut it up so the part that holds the filter on is still there while everything else is open. cheap and free

i have t5's on my quad and because of the fact that i frequently cross water, mud etc,

519939[/snapback]

And with that said , loose the snorkle but keep your air box lid. Get yourself a good filter and you'll be happy :D

so you guys all think ill be ok to lose the snorkel? i guess im a little scared of that. i sometimes hit deep water at 20-30mph, it nearly throws me over the bars and makes a HUGE wave of water that soaks the whole quad down. after a day of riding like that i have had 6-12 ounces of water in the bottom of the airbox sloshing around.

ive also been known to make runs through water nearly carb high, and mud runs to the point where i get stuck.

If you want to play in mud and water, the Banshee really isn't the ideal quad. To make the Shee scream, you need to increase airflow, which means getting rid of the snorkel, and in some cases removing the airbox completely. The snorkel is way too restrictive. Trying to get good air flow through the snorkel, is like trying to shove a bowling ball through a garden hose. Get a K&N or good foam filter, and filter plate for the inside of the airbox, an Outerwear, and remove the snorkel. Then you can drill holes in the airbox lid, or remove the lid all together. The Outerwear will help repel most water, unless you completely submerge the filter, or continuously splash water on it. Just my .02, but I've had my Shee since 96, and I've had to live and learn, as I went along.

the air box is very restrictive. you should get a pro design or similar adaptor and filter regardless of what you do, the stocker just plain sucks. when i just removed the snorkel, i put a piece of fine window screen over the lid opening to help keep junk out, which worked great. then i put in 12 uni 1" filters in the lid, which seemed to work ok. i wouldn't do much more than that for the water you are talking about getting into. but for normal trail riding, small creek crossings etc, you could loose the lid w/ a better filter. i also pulled the drain plug off the box so any water that does get it can flow right back out. of course, you have to be careful with deep crossings then. :confused: