Yota Pick up

A little help here. My sons 89 Toy 4X4s' gas gauge isnt working. I'm getting a little tired of running the gas can to him when he runs out of gas <_< . Anybody put a new sending unit in one of these? Big job? Do I have to drop the gas tank? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

you may be able to sneak it out if the truck has a body lift at all. otherwise

unplug fuel lines and electrical

droptank-straps will probably break usually only like 30$ or so

blow off top of tank so no shit falls in tank-not sure if sender is bolt in or has a ring

remove sender, replace and reassemble.

first id try unpluggin the electrical it may be a wiring concern. on fords open is full tank and 0ohms is empty. unplug and turn on key look at guage,turn off key put jumper wire in connector turn on key see if guage moves. :cheers:

id say level 7 on dirtyness and labor and level 3 on complexity

my '88 yota 4x4 has the same problem with the gas guage...i just make sure i keep it full. every 5 days or so, i top it off

515083[/snapback]

Thats what I would do, but its my kids truck, and he's 17. Nuff said. :D

Thanks for the help. Gonna rip into it next weekend.

might check but it might be easier to lift the bed off normall only few bolts that holds it on... in our shop we had a ranger same problem took bed off and fixed it.. just an idea other then lying on your back trying to manhandle a gas tank thats prolly on gas in it

easier if tank nearly empty of course then its less heavy...

problem with removing bed is its heavy too. unless you havea swingarm hoist. and the bolts come out real hard sometimes specially on older stuff

easier still if you just cut a hole in the bed. :D

the beds are small on these trucks (mine is 7ft x ~54" wide longbed), DLX v6 model

more then likely his '89 has the even smaller bed (most common) 2 maybe 3 people should easily be able to lift the bed off the frame after 1st removing the tailgate. then you should be able to access the trap door on top of the fuel tank