Piston broke?

Hey..i have a 87 shee and was riding for awhile2hours or so with my buddy on his raptor660..anyways i wanted to see how it ran so we switched! we were draging down a stright road and my shee cut off! well i found i lost comp in the right piston! So i loaded it up went home and took her apart found the right piston broke on the exhaust side...top of the piston where the exhaust port is broke down to the ring! Ok walls were not 2 bad so i took it to the dealer showed my buddy and he said it would have to be bored out! the piston welded it self to the wall! Well my question is the top of the piston was very clean...i could read # off of it!! Other side was black norm..i was looking around @ all the forms and just wanted to see what u guys think???And it blew parts of the piston at the carb... I have pix will not upload :cry:

man i just had the same thing happen to my buds left piston....same deal....exhaust side piston skirt shattered......i'm rebuilding it now....i guess just too much stress for piston...i'm not sure....just bore it and get a new top end....we only had to go .020 over bore....i'm splitting the cases tonight to clean the crank because there is a bunch of metal down in the crank case.