axle nut threads

I have a 99 banshee and I've been trying to loosen the two big nuts on the axle against the sprocket. I've been searching the forums for an hour now and I can't find out which way to spin them. I've been pulling upward standing at the back of the machine. My pipe wrench just snapped in half and now I'm wondering if i'm going the right way. My bearings are destroyed and I need to get in there. Summer's here and I'm stuck working on my bike. Please help.

You guys helped my alot on my last post when I was changing my clutch and shifting problems. Thanks.

Edited by Pocket Darts

Cool thanks. I will try the hammer technique this weekend. The other posts I read in here were saying to use a huge cheater bar. I have to get a new wrench.

It's pretty sad when you have to post a question for the 1st step in this project i'm facing. I hope everything goes smooth once I get past this stage. If not i'll be back.

Thanks

PB Fluid and a big ass pipe wrench :D Maybe a cheater bar on the end of that too !! The funy thing is , once you get them loose and put back on you'll be trying to figure out how to keep them from comming loose :D ...So to save you time later just wrap some electrical tape around them when you get them back on... :cheers:

Edited by crazywheelerman365

Howbout a simple propane torch?? Heat those bitches up and crank on em hard, they will break loose. When they break loose, be prepared to SLAM on your axle to get it out, if your bearings are blown out that is..... :cheers:

Great, I finally got the nuts off. I heated them up like you said and got a huge pipe wrench w/ a 4ft cheater. What a releif I thought I would never get them.

Yup, now I was hammering the axle and buggered up the threads at the hub a little. I realized what was happening after a few hits so their not too bad. If I ever get the axle out I'll bring it to a local mechanic and see if he will re-die it for a couple of bucks.

Time to head back outside and keep sluggin away. Hopefully the neighbors won't freak, but I can't stop now i've come so far.

thanks again.

Finally, It's all apart.  Now to fix the thread for the hub nut and reassembly.

Do you pack grease inside with the bearings?  All that was in my carrier was water, rust and bearing parts.

505869[/snapback]

Yeah, pack some grease in there before reassembly.

Before you put it back together tho, you need to get all the rust and crap out of

there, the best that you can.

:cheers:

While it is apart, Drill a hole in your carrier and install a grease zerk. Also, Take the inner plastic seals out of your new bearings and pack with grease. Make sure you clean out any drillings or shavings from the zerk install. After you reassemble the whole shebang, fill up the carrier with grease.

This will help keep water out and keep everything lubed up. You should get a lot more miles on your bearings.

Good luck.

BTW: I did the same shit to my threads, re dieing them worked for me.

Finally all done. What a feeling of accomplishment. Though it was a pain it was also fun at the same time.

Unfortunatly I didn't put a grease fitting on there. I'm already done and I just read your post.

About fixing the hub thread I read somewhere else in these forums to use a file. It worked great. I brought my axle to work today and bet an associate 20 bucks he couldn't get the nut to thread with a file (I knew he could though, lol).

Again thanks alot everyone. Who needs a clymer's when you have this forum. You guys know all the tricks.