cubs?

sorry if this question that i'm about to ask has been posted i've looked and no luck so any ways i was wounder if the 358cc unported cubs or worth getting and are the trail friendly i've got lots of bolt on power but no serious inturnal engine mods yet so just woundering if that would be a good choice

I was looking into doing the same set up. Every one told me that the bottom end is very lazy on the cubs.. There for I ended up doing the cubs, with a 4mil.

But I did talk with one builder that said the cubs with the stock crank, and a good set of low/mid range pipes and a 2into 1 carb set up and you will be very happy.

I am glad that I went with the route I did, but I almost kinda wish I did the set up that your looking to do, just to save some money.. :shrugani:

ya I have 2-1 carb set up and fmf gold series , + 4 dregree key and milled head no air box , -2 swing arm , lightend fly wheel ...so theres my set up so far i dont want to get a race only bike but i want a bike that is kick ass fast and can do trails at low and break neck speeds so i was thinking cubs , so any imput would be nice . oh another thing the 358cc cubs faster then stock jugs and would i have to true/weld my crank

I just ordered a 358 Cub from Passion Racing for trail/woods road type driving - I can't wait to get them.

Your 2:1 carb set up should give you a little more bottom end.

You definitly should have your crank welded and put a TZ bearing on it, a Coolhead would be good also. Call Passion and he'll tell you what you need/or should have

I bet it will be hard to keep the front-end down with the -2 swingarm on a 70+HP bike you'll have

Edited by Tim C

yeah man i'm lookininto the same set up as you since i need a rebuild and was just wondering since the cubs have that "Nikasil lining" that means they can't be bored if they had to be down the road or would ya have to punch a new sleeve ? i'll have dual 28's, Adjustable timing plate & possiable a cool head if cash is there but i was just wondering on boaring the cylinders ?? ? ?

No they can't be bored out or re sleeved you have to get them re-coated. Nikosil is pretty tough - it takes a lot to mark them compared to regular cylinders. All the new dirt bikes and snowmobiles have Nikosil cylinders.

the cubs come pretty stout to begin with, a little porting will make them run more on top than anything.. the 2 into 1 carb set up will highly limit the potential of the motor as well as the pipes.. for bottom end though have you considered just getting the stock jugs ported for your riding style?

also another issue i ran into with running a milled/rechambered stock head is that it would leak into the cylinders, with a cool head there isnt any of that problem..

I just got my 421 cub back from Passion Racing :notworthy: last week and took it on its first ride sat. and WOW :whoa: I think it is still very trail worthy but tight trails dont do this motor any justice... When I found some room to open her up it freakin screams like nothing ive ever rode before!! The only downside is with the 35mm PWK's the thumb is so freakin stiff and between that and trying to hold on all day my arms were shot, but hey thats waht they make twist throttle kits for right. A twist throttle will be my next purchase(and some new rear tires!!!) And just think it runs this good with my T-6's I cant wait for the Shearer's to arrive so I can try them out!!!!! :headbang:

for the ammount of low end you talking about your most cost effective route would be to get the stock cylinders ported for your style of riding,

the cubs will lay down more power without a doubt, but like aczar said he got into one open area and let em shine.. banshee's arent exactly the best machines in tight intricate trails..

if you have the money to put out for the cubs you probably wont be dissappointed, unless you never ride the motor to potential.. then youll give up the trails for more open areas.. :bolt: