250r front end

mattw204

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd MIG it. still fairly pretty and they strength isnt an issue since yamaha alloys their frames with chinese newspapers.

but if you were to graft one frame half to another id think all youd need would be a welder, varying saws, and possibly a bender for reinforcing. but you could skip on te bender if you used .125" plate, instead of round tube.

i dont see it being that hard, but if you were to start from scratch it would be a different story.

Edited by gimmeabeer

I'll have an extra j-arm frame here in the next couple weeks so I've been thinking about actually doing this mod. Dunno, kinda depends on what I'd have to pay for a 250r frame.

On one hand it'd be f'n sweet! On the other hand all the money I've been dumping into my shee suspension would be wasted. Course there's always the motor swap option!

95% of the welding I do is stick. Personally I think appearance-wise it falls somewhere between ugly-ass MIG and woohoo TIG. Considering the welds on the stock frame already look like turd bombs, I don't think you could recommend one method vs. another based on appearance alone. Just use whatever method you're most comfortable with.

I wasnt about to give out this info but for those of you that may get to this before me.

250R frames use square tube..... 400ex uses round tube. Now what would be easier to fab up to a banshee frame? Someone has already been doing these mods so I cant see it being all that hard. I know I'd be taking mad pics during the process. If I wasnt in the middle of a move across country I'd be lookin for an EX frame now. I'm sure I'll be able to find a beater out west, now I just need the time and $,,,,, and time.