Won't kick start

zabobmx

Heres the deal. I just got finished trying to start my bike after doing a frame resto/ clean up job. I tore the whole bike down and now just got it back together. Today I got it where I could start up and ride it around slowly but the bike won't kick start. I checked for spark, which it had, so I decided to try push starting it. After 3 tries, and with the choke on the last time, it fired right up and I rode it down the alley and back in first gear. Didn't have any misses or anything. When I pulled up the drive, I tried letting it idle and it died. I push started it once more and it did fine but it still would not kick start. Seems to me its a fuel problem. the carbs have not been apart, as they have only had the sleeves out. It ran excellent before tear down and would cold start on 2-3 kicks.

Yesterday I was asking about some vacuum lines/hoses and was wondering where they were routed. I got them on but the only connect to each other, going from the port at the rear of the motor, to the line coming out of the cover, and then routed up to around the handle bars. These hoses don't connect to the carbs in anyway do they?

Anyways I am thinking the problem is pretty minor and some of you have probably had the same issue.(hopefully) Also the plugs were new about 3-4 months ago and have had around 1-2 hrs. on them. They were left untouched, in the head throughout the rebuild. The motor was not touched at all.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Edited by zabobmx

new top end!!!! you dont have enough compression i bet if u ran a compression check its around 60.. which stock should be around 90 or 100 i believe.. but u need a new top end or rings dude

486827[/snapback]

The bike ran great before I tore it down. The top end was replaced not long ago. I will run a compression test on it tonight but I don't know why it started, and ran like a champ before I tore it down and then all of a sudden it needs a top end after not running for 3 months. But I will do a compression check on it tonight...

Any other thoughts? TIA

If your talking about the hose between the carbs it should be a rubber piece of hose not aluminum. The hose is down closer to the case. If your talking about the aluminum one i assume your talikng about the balance pipe. Make sure kicker gear is not broke. Does it have some resistance when you try to kick it over? Let us know. I'm sure someone on here can help.

If your talking about the hose between the carbs it should be a rubber piece of hose not aluminum. The hose is down closer to the case. If your talking about the aluminum one i assume your talikng about the balance pipe. Make sure kicker gear is not broke. Does it have some resistance when you try to kick it over? Let us know. I'm sure someone on here can help.

486900[/snapback]

Just went out there and checked and I have no hose going between the carbs as far as behind where the choke is. Is it just a hose that connects from one carb to another? I see what looks to be nipples on each carb where a hose could be placed. I just went out there and messed with it and got it too kick start but it died after about 15 seconds. I will put a hose between the carbs...

I am putting the hose between the carbs right behind where the choke needle sits correct? Basically if there was an imaginary line, the hose would complete it.