Craftsman Powdercoating system

BansheeGuy_IV

Hey,

I saw at my local sears, a craftsman electric powdercoating system. It's for home use. I thought, for $150.00 let me give it a shot and see if it works.

I Hate dropping my parts off at the powdercoater... Esepcially little stuff... It's a pain in the neck... Takes 2 days...

So I thought this would be nice to have for smaller things...

So I tried it out today. I powdercoated a set of fender brackets, bright red.

It was easy as heck to do, and it came out as perfect as my professionally PC'd parts. The outcome was tremendous.

I coated the stuff right in my garage and I baked it right in my oven. There is NO odor at all when it's baking. It's no problem to hang in the oven right in the kitchen -- Very cool!

So on a scale from 1-10 for satisfaction... I give this setup a 9.5. My only complaint would be that it seems to be constructed out of some pretty light plastic, and I don't know how it is going to hold up over the years.

BG

Hey,

At my sears they had about 20 colors. Black, satin black, red, greens, blues... some transparent colors...

But the powders are cheap at easy to get by mail order... Lots of places on the net sell it by the half pound. I ordered up a cool glitter-flake red from Eastwood Company. I've got an old set of aluminum renthal bars that were annodized... The annodizing is faded...

So I'm gonna PC them this crazy glittery red and see how they turn out.

As far as the warranty goes... Sears gives it a 1 year warranty... However... They offered me a 2 year, full replacement warranty at the cash register for 20 bucks... They said... If it breaks... Bring it back and we'll give you a new one...

I decided not to get the extra warranty, but it might end up being worth it.

BG

Hey,

I saw at my local sears, a craftsman electric powdercoating system.  It's for home use.  I thought, for $150.00 let me give it a shot and see if it works.

I Hate dropping my parts off at the powdercoater... Esepcially little stuff... It's a pain in the neck... Takes 2 days... 

So I thought this would be nice to have for smaller things... 

So I tried it out today.  I powdercoated a set of fender brackets, bright red.

It was easy as heck to do, and it came out as perfect as my professionally PC'd parts.  The outcome was tremendous. 

I coated the stuff right in my garage and I baked it right in my oven.  There is NO odor at all when it's baking.  It's no problem to hang in the oven right in the kitchen -- Very cool!

So on a scale from 1-10 for satisfaction... I give this setup a 9.5.  My only complaint would be that it seems to be constructed out of some pretty light plastic, and I don't know how it is going to hold up over the years.

BG

485325[/snapback]

Stop powdercoating in your oven NOW!!!! There are all types of gasses in the powder and it can cause sickness . You need to get an old oven to use.

I took a look at the directions...

Just says to use an oven that you don't use for food preparation.

They show you using a standard kitchen oven, in a garage...

So to be honest... if there are toxic gases... You're going to breath them in the same way in the garage as in the kitchen.

However, I was thinking that over time... Maybe a film or coating, or layer of goo could build up in the oven's exhaust system from deposition from the "gases". If that is the case (I'm just speculating(, it's possible that this could affect food being baked in the oven. I don't want to take any chances.

That last post got me thinking, and I appreciate it.

So what I'm going to do is use my old gas grill. I don't use it for cooking any more. It's just being stored. It's a large grill, as big as my oven. I'm going to gut it except for the burners, and turn it into my Powdercoating oven. It should be sweet. :-)

BG

I was just talking to a couple of guys on another board last week about investing in this set up from Eastwood cause I got a bunch of small stuff and a couple of project frames I'd like to do and I have people ask me about powder coaters cause they want to get stuff done. the gun looks a bit cheap, but it's for powered plastic not paint, so you only use a couple of pounds of air.

IR Cure System With Deluxe Hotcoat Gun

they also carry the extra lamps and they sell like 100 different color powders including some mirror finish including a chrome and Hi-Temp stuff.

Edited by pipebomb

I was just talking to a couple of guys on another board last week about investing in this set up from Eastwood cause I got a bunch of small stuff and a couple of project frames I'd like to do and I have people ask me about powder coaters cause they want to get stuff done.  the gun looks a bit cheap, but it's for powered plastic not paint, so you only use a couple of pounds of air.

IR Cure System With Deluxe Hotcoat Gun

they also carry the extra lamps and they sell like 100 different color powders including some mirror finish including a chrome and Hi-Temp stuff.

485495[/snapback]

Wow, grat info :notworthy: , how about those kits on ebay?, anyone use those?

So what I'm going to do is use my old gas grill. I don't use it for cooking any more. It's just being stored. It's a large grill, as big as my oven. I'm going to gut it except for the burners, and turn it into my Powdercoating oven. It should be sweet. :-)

You don't want to use anything with gas burners to do powdercoating, you want to use electric. Your best bet might be to check around in the want ads, or at a used appliance store, and see if you can find an old oven that the range is messed up on or something. There's not really any need to pay extra for the range, since you won't need it unless you're gonna use it to do something stupid like cook meth or something.