banshee transmission

My friend has a banshee that he was racing one day and it got to where it wouldn't go into gear.It feels like it goes into gear with the shifter but you can roll it without pulling in the clutch like it's in neutral.It won't go anywhere when you let out the clutch.The clutches were slick(worn out).Wouldn't it still have enough resistance when you put in gear to where you couldn't roll it?We was thinking it was maybe the transmission but maybe it was the clutches.

Edited by race-a-holic

My old Rm250 had teh same problem, except it would eventually go into gear when you pressed hard enough, this only happened when going to first though. I figured one of the shift forks were bent, i traded it off though and never looked into it really good. I have read older RM' were notorious for that.

I think you're going to have to split the cases to inspect it. My old YZ125 lost a tooth on one of the tranny gears (I can't remember which gear but who cares?) which wedged its way into the shift drum in the tranny. It would stay in neutral and you could kind of get it into first depending on how hard you tried to do it.

The other thing running through my mind is the possibility of a bent shift fork. Was the banshee recently wrecked or something that may have affected the shift lever?