shift star mod

Use a.500" end mill, and center it on the neutral detent. Every star is different, and I don't know how you'll clamp it. I put them in a vice on the mill, and go about .740" off the back jaw. It gets me to a good starting point. I usually have ot move it a few thousandths either way to get it centered. From the top of the star, (while it's laying flat) cut down about .210-.220", and cut into the star about .065". That should put you about where you need to be. If you don't know what I'm talking about, have no idea about machining things, and don't have a vertical mill with carbide tooling, than don't even attempt it. It will be a waste of time doing it, and a waste of time going to the dealer to get a new one... :cheers:

I did mine on a bench grinder - JUST THE LOBES - not the neutral back-cut because I don't have a mill as Boonman mentioned. If somebody wants to do this in a bench grinder you just need to be careful not to go too fast and keep the cut surfaces square then polish it when it's all done.

Here's a couple of pics of mine:

ShiftStar-1.jpg

ShiftStar-2.jpg

Edited by WyoDuner