What tires for Sand?

Portlander

I run the 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers on my bike.  Ride the Oregon Dunes usually Horsfall to Spinreel area.  Ran the nines on the stock bike before pipes or anything, made it to where you had to shift much more to keep it in the power, but still manageable.  I'd run the nine paddles, especially if you plan on doing more mods down the road, you'll still have enough paddle to hold the power.  I drag at Boxcar and get plenty of spin off the line, and grip for 4th gear wheelies on the top.

426722[/snapback]

I think this guy's dead on for your bike.

I think this guy's dead on for your bike.

426854[/snapback]

Yea 9 paddle will slow you down some jsut as this guy says, you can still stay in the power but I garantee that it will run faster with 8's if that is the case.

Go ahead and overpaddle your bike if you want to everyone else is doing it...

my 8 paddle extremes are a good match for my bike and I'll bet anything I'm making more power than you (not bragging but porting carbs etc makes a pretty good difference).

I would DEFINATLY get 8 paddle extremes over 9 paddle non extremes. the 9 paddle non-extremes will flex more making them similar to an 8 paddle extreme, maybe a bit more traction with the 9's...the extremes will also last longer and will be ok untill you do more mods...

If you had a 4 mil ported stroker I would say go with 9 paddle extremes...

But hey don't take my word, call a tire expert and have them tell you the same thing.

Edited by Justintoxicated

Yea 9 paddle will slow you down some jsut as this guy says, you can still stay in the power but I garantee that it will run faster with 8's if that is the case.

Go ahead and overpaddle your bike if you want to everyone else is doing it...

my 8 paddle extremes are a good match for my bike and I'll bet anything I'm making more power than you (not bragging but porting carbs etc makes a pretty good difference).

I would DEFINATLY get 8 paddle extremes over 9 paddle non extremes.  the 9 paddle non-extremes will flex more making them similar to an 8 paddle extreme, maybe a bit more traction with the 9's...the extremes will also last longer and will be ok untill you do more mods...

If you had a 4 mil ported stroker I would say go with 9 paddle extremes...

But hey don't take my word, call a tire expert and have them tell you the same thing.

426977[/snapback]

All I can say is that I ride in the same conditions he said he is riding in, and with 9 paddle haulers (non-extreme) it is absolutely no problem keeping it in the power. Plus a good rider can compensate for alot of tire by shifting their weight around. Plus you said yourself that 8 paddle extremes vs. 9 paddle haulers are pretty much the same. Maybe the sand is a different consistency where you ride and my bike would be overpaddled at that area, but my opinion on the Oregon dunes is that a 9 hauler will do excellent. :cheers:

All I can say is that I ride in the same conditions he said he is riding in, and with 9 paddle haulers (non-extreme) it is absolutely no problem keeping it in the power. Plus a good rider can compensate for alot of tire by shifting their weight around.
Edited by Justintoxicated

Like I siad you would just likely be faster with less paddles...They are similar but I would go with the extreme because the paddles are thicker and last longer, especialy since between the 2 he would likely better off with an 8 paddle setup, probably the best woul dbe 8 paddle non extreme but afain they won't last as long....

BTW how much riding do you do in 6th?  I would imagine a piped banshee woul d have a hard time pulling strong in 6th with 9's?

If you jsut wanna play around try out the sand stars.

427495[/snapback]

That is probably the key difference in the terrain, and why I don't have many issues with the 9's. Where I ride I don't know that I have EVER gotten into 6th gear. If so, it was for a very short amount of time. On the dune area I ride, and he was talking about riding, even with a 13 tooth front 4th and 5th are plenty fast to scare most anybody. :bolt:

Can't go wrong with Sand Skate IIs.  Often imitated, never duplicated.

426510[/snapback]

Ive ran Sand Skate II's since the late 90's on my banshees. Best sand tire made in my opinion. 20-10-10 8-9 paddle cant go wrong. Also haulers are really good.