Shees pooched

hey guys. just got off the phone with my mechanic and its worse then we thought. Well first of all my impeller is pooched so i overheated it a couple of times, a pin that holds the shifter broke, the clip that holds the pin came off and went through everything like the main gear for the clutch is ruined, other smaller gears, some other pin or clip or something is stuck inside. That is all of what he found when he was looking for why it wont shift into 1st or second. Now that he still doesnt know what is wrong there. well he said over a grand for all that if he were to order it from yamaha. so i think i am going to get it one of these days and prolly take the engine out and fiddle with it myself. I am getting my yfz next month so it wont do any harm for me to be working on the shee. what do you guys think i should do? take it and leave it how it is or work on it myself? or trade it in for the yfz? thanks guys

BFS

go on ebay and buy a complete tranny itl be less than a grand easily then sell the salvagable parts left over from your existing tranny or keep em in case you break again later on down the road no harm in having spare parts man

419678[/snapback]

What he said.

Plus it will give you valuable skills in working on your own stuff, which is MUCH cheaper than having someone else do it.

Not only that, but you won't be dependant on someone else to do your wrenching.

The bad part is it takes a bit longer because you have other shit to attend to rather than wrenching on the bike.

Shit...I haven't ever tore my engine apart. Never needed to. But the day it goes, I'm scattering the WHOLE thing. I'm going to lay out each individual part, and look at it in amazement.

Then about the time I start thinking "What the fyck did I just do?" start putting it back together again with the Clymers manual and my torque wrench on the bench.

I've even contemplated buying a junker engine so I'll have something to practice on.

:shrugani:

What he said.

Plus it will give you valuable skills in working on your own stuff, which is MUCH cheaper than having someone else do it.

The bad part is it takes a bit longer because you have other shit to attend to rather than wrenching on the bike.

Shit...I haven't ever tore my engine apart. Never needed to. But the day it goes, I'm scattering the WHOLE thing. I'm going to lay out each individual part, and look at it in amazement.

Then about the time I start thinking "What the fyck did I just do?" start putting it back together again with the Clymers manual and my torque wrench on the bench.

I've even contemplated buying a junker engine so I'll have something to practice on.

419723[/snapback]

ya man thanks for the advice. i have an old zuki 250 that im going to take the engine out of to work on. i just hqave to figure out how to get it out first cause its in there pretty good

What he said.

419723[/snapback]

I agree! You can get a complete tranny (minus the cases) for a couple hundred dollars.

First time we took apart my banshee we knew nothing about it other than basic two-stroke principles. Had it all apart, looked over all the parts to get familiar with them and checked them all for damage. Pulled out the clymers manual and put it together just like instructed and bam, had a running banshee in 2 days, teardown and rebuild from the bottom end up.

If you have basic tools you can get most of the work done. You might have to buy a tool here and there but most of it is simple. You can't go wrong if you read and follow the clymers manual! :cheers:

hey guys. just got off the phone with my mechanic and its worse then we thought. Well first of all my impeller is pooched so i overheated it a couple of times, a pin that holds the shifter broke, the clip that holds the pin came off and went through everything like the main gear for the clutch is ruined, other smaller gears, some other pin or clip or something is stuck inside. That is all of what he found when he was looking for why it wont shift into 1st or second. Now that he still doesnt know what is wrong there. well he said over a grand for all that if he were to order it from yamaha. so i think i am going to get it one of these days and prolly take the engine out and fiddle with it myself. I am getting my yfz next month so it wont do any harm for me to be working on the shee. what do you guys think i should do? take it and leave it how it is or work on it myself? or trade it in for the yfz? thanks guys

BFS

419672[/snapback]

whatever you do don't rade your banshee!! :angry: