YFZ450 Front Calipers on Banshee

sj820

What do the YFZ spindles do to the Banshee's front geometry? Sure they fit, but those are two completely different suspension arcs?

Has anyone set this up and checked the arc of travel to make sure there is no binding, excessive bump steer, or caster/camber changes?

424600[/snapback]

Thats sum good questions and id like to hear the details and such....

do you know how to check the ol' "arc of travel"... neither do I :( . Here's what I'd suggest, id ride the bastard every chance I get and if the front brakes make it steer funny, or if somthing binds or grinds then I guess the arc of travel is askew :shrugani::wacko: If everything rides and steers problem free and nothing binds or causes you to get ejected off the quad, then alls good. :) I dunno what im talking about :ph34r: here comes the clowns, right monkeybo ? :cheers:

Edited by Meat

here comes the clowns, right monkeybo ? :cheers:

426150[/snapback]

No, you already were here.

To check the suspension action out is a little difficult. The easiest thing to check will be bump steer.

Bump steer is the amount of steering change throughout the arc of suspension.

(God I don't wanna get into this again)

Put you quad up on a stand and take the front wheel off. Make note of the extended shock length. Compress the dhock fully, and make a note of that length. You may be able to get these specs from the manufacturer if you have aftermarket shocks.

Remove the shocks and place the a arm in the spot where it would be if the shock was fully extended. Straighten the hub out so that it is pointed straight ahead. Use something like a tie down to hold the bars where they are. Measure the angle from the hub to a set point such as a balljoint that moves with the spindle.

Raise the suspension until you are in the spot where the shock will be fully compressed. Measure the same angle again.

If you only have a couple of degrees change, you are good. If you have anything more than a couple of degrees, then the suspension is not working togother. You will feel it riding. It can be dangerous.

Some setups are so bad you can see the steering move as you go through the suspension.

My guess is that you will have noticible bump steer as these front suspensions are way different.

This is the least dangerous of suspension problems, some of the more difficult measurements could cause you to lose a balljoint during riding.

• 5 months later...
Just incase anyone is interested, YFZ450 twin piston front calipers fit on the Banshee/Warrior spindles.  :clap:  I will post some pics later today when I get home! I have not had a chance to try endo's yet but I will try and get some pics!!! I have a buddy with a Gas Gas  300 and I have always been jealous of his Brembo's up front! The Brembo calipers are beautiful if anyone has had a chance to check them out!!! After upgrading to front 450 shocks I thought why not the calipers too? I was under the impression I would have to put the 450 spindles on my a-arms which I proved will work but the ball joints might not last too long :drool: . After I got my calipers off ebay I figured it might be a Winter project but I was curious to see how close the calipers were to mounting on the Banshee spindles and to my surprise they fit right on there! :headbang:  Cheap brake upgrade!  :bolt:

419377[/snapback]

Hi there,

Have you some pics? I was thinking in upgrading my banshee's brakes, and my idea was put the yamaha 450 brakes...

If you can, please send me some Pics: pcvpinheiro@gmail.com

Best regards

I'm actually just getting around to putting on my 450 calipers. (had them almost 2 months now) I was just test fitting them, but from what I could tell, I may have to cut or trim the inside brake shield, does this sound correct? I'm pretty sure on this, but I didn't wanna start hacking before I was sure on it. If anyone has some pictures that'd be awesome.

And by the way, according to a local PRO racer, the Honda TRX450R master cylinder is the "ultimate" upgrade to your brakes as well, which I am doing. I will let you guys know how it all turns out, I should have it back to the track this next weekend.

this is starting to sound like a nice upgrade. now if I could only find that article agian that I saw some time ago about mounting YFZ a-arms on a Shee. the guy cut the rear mounts in half and moved one part like 3/4 of an inch (can't remember if the front went forward or the back half went back farther) and used a longer bolt and a spacer tube to mount the lowers and flip-floped the top arms(left on right and vice-versa).

I would just remove the brake shield.  Most people seem to do that anyway

504099[/snapback]

So is there no real chance of something happening without these on there? I was thinking about it but hesitant to just toss it. The guy I ride with said he wouldn't get rid of it. All I do is MX. What about the one between the wheel and hub? Do I need that one?

Okay guys..

Calipers are on, along with new EBC brake pads, ASR steel braided brake lines, and a new TRX450R master cylinder and lever. All I can say is WOW. seriously.

My first use of them was at the MX track and they work awesome. Gotta be careful not to do a stoppie. I recommend this upgrade to anyone since the stock Banshee brakes suck ass.

Just thought I would let you guys know. :cheers:

• 4 months later...