Port & Polish/new head or shave head?

ToomeySheeLE

I am thinking about redoing my top end, problally a mild port and polish and weisco pro lite pistons... what power difference will i see if much of any? and would it be wise to get a cool head or shave my stocker and if so how much can you shave and still run 91 octane?

Also is an overbore a wise idea?

Im currently running tr6s jeted well with filter and boysen power reeds, 15 tooth front sprocket.. approx 85mph

Just a few questions I've been pondering.

Thanks for the input

brad

Eric Gorr Woods port! :headbang::headbang:

1. Its cheap

2. Reliable

3. Fast Turnaround time

4. I have seen with my own eyes :whoa: His woods port smoke drag ported bikes, I will say no names on builders B)

Second Choice if you got some extra cash, Grand river racing. Nyuk from here hasnt been beaten yet on one of andys motors :confused:

By the way, those T-6 might hole you back once you port. Might want to look for some t-5s. What type of ridding do you do?

I am thinking about redoing my top end, problally a mild port and polish and weisco pro lite pistons... what power difference will i see if much of any? and would it be wise to get a cool head or shave my stocker and if so how much can you shave and still run 91 octane?

Also is an overbore a wise idea?

Im currently running tr6s jeted well with filter and boysen power reeds, 15 tooth front sprocket.. approx 85mph

Just a few questions I've been pondering.

Thanks for the input

brad

417826[/snapback]

Edited by ellison445

I would do both, Porting typicaly reduces compression so a coolhead with smaller than stock size domes will get your compression back to where it should be. It's a great time to do both..

ALso new carbs to go with your porting!

not much power is gained from overboring...I would not do it..

Edited by Justintoxicated

I'm in the same perdicament but my whole engine is gone, gonna send my cylinders out to gorr here in next week or so and also i thought about shaving the head but i thought doing that and not have the water jackets chambered mifght make it run hotter so the nosshead is the only way to go, just waiting on dlnoss to get back to me, have a good one :cheers:

Not to knock any aftermarket heads at all, since I have never had one, but I have always just modified the stock heads, since the more stock it looks, the more pissed the other guys get after buying all the"bling-bling" for their rides, and you beat them and yours looks stock. I have had 5 sets of pipes on my banshee and they never interfere w/the stock head, but some aftermarket heads can rub against certain pipes. I never had overheating problems w/the stock head either. If you are worried, run a little Redline "water wetter" to help keep temps a touch cooler, but don't use it w/anitfreeze...just w/water. There are other coolant products you can get these days too. One guy raced me that had the same color 'shee as me, same pipes, but he had a cool head, reed spacers, chrome this and that, but when we raced I beat him real bad. :P As far as he knew, I just had aftermarket pipes on mine!

Porting will help ALOT.I'd get rid of the T-6's.What type of riding you do,does matter.Whoever you get to do it needs to know this.Don't need a drag bike for trails.

Edited by race-a-holic

im sure eric gorr makes a mean woods port but theres plenty of safe 350 porting that would crush a woods ported set of clyinders . if you dont ride in the woods exclusively i wouldnt bother if it were me ,theres a reason people opt to get dune and drag ports over a mild woods port :blink: not knockin anybodys stuff just my .02 :cheers:

I do mostly sand/dune riding. But love the drag racing on the street at the end of the day. Since shaving the head is $50 and a cool head is 350$ i think I'd probally go for the shave job.. I'm running engine ice right now.. hopfully i wont notice much of an increase of heat.. So a top end port, stock bore, shaved head sound alright with the t-6's?

Thanks

BRad

Not to knock any aftermarket heads at all, since I have never had one, but I have always just modified the stock heads, since the more stock it looks, the more pissed the other guys get after buying all the"bling-bling" for their rides, and you beat them and yours looks stock.

418576[/snapback]

That's what's awesome about dlnoss's black anodized head. I'm totally with you on the whole sleeper idea... I'm going to be popping for a head before too long, and will go with Noss, black anodized, for the aftermarket benefits, plus the sleeper-under-the-radar effect.