First time MX....Suspension bottoming out!

Banshee0028

First off, I went to a local MX track for the first time with the shee yesterday...IT WAS ASWESOME :dance:

This particular track has some of the highest jumps around the state, but is VERY well maintained and setup real nice...was more of a black dirt and some tree shaving (wood chips) around the burms.

Anyway, to the main problem here: I was only jumping pretty slow and not too high, but almost EVERY time I got more than about 2-3 feet of air the suspension would completely bottm out and hit hard! At first I thought it was just "normal", and MX was alot harder than trail riding....Well I am sure it is, but its not supposed to hit this hard...LOL

Later we found out that there was lots of dirt pilled up around the shifter....Meaning that I was bottoming out each time and hitting the track.

I have about 6 month old TCS shocks all the way around: Dual rate in the front setup for 150lb rider + gear, "trail riding with some mx" is what I told Todd to set them up for. And in the rear its a stock shock\spring reworked by TCS for the above settings.

After the frist lap or two, we adjusted the rear compression all the way hard, and it might have helped a bit, but still bottoms out. We also found out that the rear shock rebound was WAY too fast....I think its at the default setting 12? I was told this will also greatly help once I lower it. I am HOPING its just the rear shock that is causing the shee to bottom out, as there is no evdence that the front is also bottoming out??

Would I need to revalve the rear shock again, and\or can I simply get a heavier spring for the rear, and install it myself?

If I can get this fixed by simply replacing the rear spring only, that would not be too bad...I just dont want to have to have the front TCS shocks changed again, if I dont have to ............... :cheers: