Why did the Bashee Blow-Up?

dbkid13

Well the blaster I'm parting out had a piston go bad and I took the easy way out. Flushed it a million times with carb cleaner and wiped it all out with a whole roll of paper otwels. 6 months later the lower crank bearing went out. Way too much of a co-incidence. What happens is if the small bits don't immediately hang up the crank, they slip around in there until they wear down into a wedge shaped piece and they get stuck in between the race and one of the balls. If you are running at 8000 RPMS and the crank can't turn, what happen to the rotating mass of the engine and motion of the ATV? What happens to the power from the ignition of the cylinder? All that pressure comes on the rod which bends and breaks. All it takes is 1 revolution with a broken rod to completely blow the engine apart. The last anshee I parted out had 1 rod come thru the top of the case and get stuck in the bottom of one of the carbs. The other jug aparently rotated a few more times and blew out the front and bottom of the case. For the sake of a few extra hours and gasket sealer, I'd pull it apart.

Here's a horror pic for you...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have blown a crap load of banshee motors, alot more than most of you guys, last season alone I built and blew 4. If metal of any kind went down into the crank I sucked it up and rebuilt the crank, I see it like this, you can spend 200 bucks now and after a three hour road trip, one hour riding and two hours of sitting on the sand waiting for someone to pull you back to camp so you can go home and spend a 1000 bucks thats crappy math, if you what to save money get a savings account and buy a 400 ex. just my opinon, I could be wrong!

Well I have the motor all the way out, who rebuilds cracks around here and how much does it cost?? I am not sure if I can afford to get it done anytime soon because Michigan keeps uping tuiton (them bastards) but I want to get a plan together for when I do have more money and by the way if you blew four motors in one season I would say something is not right, a motor should last at least a couple hundred hours unless you are getting to much clearence somewhere or something. I might go to a different machine shop or something. Does anyone know how to get a hold of that tutorial on how to split the case??????????

Edited by dbkid13

I had cdi issues, some nos moments, some part failures, but to be fair I wasn't going for relieabilty, I was going for power. now 3 years later a total of six motors and thousands of dollars I have a " ridable " bike that will run with most drag bikes.

I see your side redlined and agree. let me just say the ONLY time I took the measure of a crank rebuild was when I saw that something had gone down into my crank, if there was no sign of that then I thanked the banshee gods and threw pistons and then sat down and reassested my tatic. hows that for a run on sentence.

Edited by wayfst

I just got done doing my top end again, I have used a SHOPVAC with fuelline ducttapped to the vacum holes, this allows me to suck any dirt or debris from inside the motor.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of that tutorial on how to split the case??????????

409736[/snapback]

get the banshee clymer it tells all.. :notworthy:

Just follow the damn yellow brick road....

OK redlined... I see you like to argue a point. So do I. What you didn't factor in is the odds of debris in the crank causing damage to the individual engine and not the overall picture for everyone. The engine is not designed to run with the debris in there so unless there is NO debris in there, there is a greater than 50% chance of future engine failure caused by debris. On the other hand if it takes 6 years for a good engine in good condition to fail and it costs $200 extra to rebuild the crank to get 6 more years out of the engine, it would take 72 years to add up to the figure you came up with. (12 rebuilds times 6 years between). I'd like to think that this guy will live to be in his 90's and still riding but it's unlikely.

Consider too his previous inexperience. He ran at low compression beyond the serviceable life of the parts. Now he knows better and can head off these melt downs in the future. So if you add in a single cost of $200 extra now and plan on never having that failure again over the next 12 rebuilds, he is only spending $16.67 per rebuild for peace of mind for the next 72 years. I'd say that's not a bad investment.

PS NEVER use a shopvac for flammable liquids!!!

OK redlined... I see you like to argue a point. So do I. What you didn't factor in is the odds of debris in the crank causing damage to the individual engine and not the overall picture for everyone. The engine is not designed to run with the debris in there so unless there is NO debris in there, there is a greater than 50% chance of future engine failure caused by debris. On the other hand if it takes 6 years for a good engine in good condition to fail and it costs $200 extra to rebuild the crank to get 6 more years out of the engine, it would take 72 years to add up to the figure you came up with. (12 rebuilds times 6 years between). I'd like to think that this guy will live to be in his 90's and still riding but it's unlikely.

Consider too his previous inexperience. He ran at low compression beyond the serviceable life of the parts. Now he knows better and can head off these melt downs in the future. So if you add in a single cost of $200 extra now and plan on never having that failure again over the next 12 rebuilds, he is only spending $16.67 per rebuild for peace of mind for the next 72 years. I'd say that's not a bad investment.

PS NEVER use a shopvac for flammable liquids!!!

409985[/snapback]

You found me out. I can

Edited by Redlined

i would have to say i agree wirth holyman. redlined you say you flush it but there is no way you can get every single tiny peice of debris out of those bearings. why take a chance of ruining your new top end.just spend the extra cash and quit half assing.

i would have to say i agree wirth holyman. redlined you say you flush it but there is no way you can get every single tiny peice of debris out of those bearings. why take a chance of ruining your new top end.just spend the extra cash and quit half assing.

411192[/snapback]

Do word problems confuse you?