No clutch

Hello everyone, I'm new here and to the Banshee. Just got done riding a little while ago and realized my clutch lever had no tension to it. Just pull it in, and it stays there. Everything looks to be in order, no broken cable or anything visibly missing compared to my friend's Banshee. I looked at the online parts diagrams, and it shows the parts to the push lever assembly, but it doesn't show where it hooks into on the bottom. Am I missing something? :angry:

it doesn't actually hook to anything. the push lever has a flat spot on 1/2 of the lower end of it. the push rod sits against the flat and when the lever turns it pushes the rod and ball against the pressure plate adj. screw and presses the plate outward relieving the tension on the clutch plates.

does it work at all, to engage or disengage the clutch? it could be anything from the cable being majorly stretched, the small spring at the push lever broken, rod and ball being welded together, the push lever bearing (where the lever fits into the crankcase) being shot and binding up, the clutch springs being shot or broken, the adjuster screw being loose, broken or worn clutch components. it all depends on what it's doing or not doing.

take all the tension off of the cable with the handle bar adjuster. the arrow on the push lever should pass the arrow(to the outside of the quad) on the crankcase. you should be able to push it back in by hand, and when it stops the arrow should line up with the arrow on the crankcase. if it does it is most likely fine inside and may just be the cable and an easy fix. if not, it's internal and you'll need to pull the side cover to see whats going on, and if nothing else to adjust it correctly. with the adjuster screw loosened at the pressure plate, you should be able to move the push lever freely beyond the arrows lining up. i'd pull the pressure plate off and check the rod and ball while your in there. check the basket fingers to see if they are grooved bad from the plates rubbing on them. check the pressure plate for cracks. if all is well, adjust the screw till the arrows line up when you push in on the lever and throw it back together.

if i missed anything, i'm sure someone will chime in. B)

oh yeah, i know what i forgot. buy a clymer's manual, they are definitely worth it.

Edited by MILO

it doesn't actually hook to anything.  the push lever has a flat spot on 1/2 of  the lower end of it.  the push rod sits against the flat and when the lever turns it pushes the rod and ball against the pressure plate adj. screw and presses the plate outward relieving the tension on the clutch plates.

does it work at all, to engage or disengage the clutch?  it could be anything from the cable being majorly stretched, the small spring at the push lever broken, rod and ball being welded together, the push lever bearing (where the lever fits into the crankcase) being shot and binding up, the clutch springs being shot or broken, the adjuster screw being loose, broken or worn clutch components.  it all depends on what it's doing or not doing. 

take all the tension off of the cable with the handle bar adjuster.  the arrow on the push lever should pass the arrow(to the outside of the quad) on the crankcase.  you should be able to push it back in by hand, and when it stops the arrow should line up with the arrow on the crankcase.  if it does it is most likely fine inside and may just be the cable and an easy fix.  if not, it's internal and you'll need to pull the side cover to see whats going on, and if nothing else to adjust it correctly.  with the adjuster screw loosened at the pressure plate, you should be able to move the push lever freely beyond the arrows lining up.  i'd pull the pressure plate off and check the rod and ball while your in there. check the basket fingers to see if they are grooved bad from the plates rubbing on them.  check the pressure plate for cracks.  if all is well, adjust the screw till the arrows line up when you push in on the lever and throw it back together.

if i missed anything, i'm sure someone will chime in.  B)

oh yeah, i know what i forgot.  buy a clymer's manual, they are definitely worth it.

407128[/snapback]

When I first realized the problem, there was zero clutch action. I rode it around the house after I got back. I was basically powershifting around the house. Right now you can take the push lever with your hand and it will move with very little effort, even with the spring on top. It has a brand new Hinson pressure plate, basket, and a DP clutch setup in it. I'll take a look at the rod and ball. Thanks for the help and I will update on the fix.

your clutch is giving in, right? pull it in and nothing happens? check the nut on the pressure plate. snug, very snug, just dont impact it. get a clutch saver. 50 bucks, worth the money. wont burn the clutch. make sure there is that washer between the nut and pressure plate. i impacted mine about 5 years ago and it shattered the washer, lost the clutch......

that's when i figured over-ride alchy was better.