Timing plates and degree keys?

hi guys! have a fairly stock banshee EXCEPT for Toomey T-5's and 0.20 bore which is going to 0.30 over. i always ran Wisecos also. i have stock head, air box, BUT the rad valve complete assembly are Pyramids not the V-force ones that are so popular. My stator is also rewound to 260watts by Alba racing, but i have the stock timing plate and stock flywheel with no modifications done to either. now, im in the process of a top-end job, putting in 0.30 pistons, but i was wondering about the timing. i want to get some added horsepower if possible.

now, what do u guys usually run in this department? i've been away from the forums awhile so i want to get up to date on this. i seen these degree keys but i heard they break easy. do most people here run:

ONLY the timing plate?

ONLY the degree key?

OR BOTH? CAN u even RUN BOTH together?

sorry about the questions if they sound like a newbie.

also, how do i know WHICH degree to set my plate to, if i get a plate?

thanks a lot guys!!!! i really need some good info here!

Edited by 94BANSHEE

well first you cant run both the timing plate and the key at the same time in my opinion i would go with just buying the plate and mine is set at 4 degrees advanced there are little numbers on the plate that you line up with where the two case halves go together. ricky stator sells the plates for 35 dollars i think

well, of course i want as much horsepower as possible, but i DONT want to go around porting and stuff i have no expereince doing. i know it may be easy for some, but i opt to stay away from that part. my banshee is reliable and i can do most bolt-on / top-end jobs alone, but nothing too difficult. i got stock carbs which i fooled around with a lot. but as far as , big-bore kits , porting etc. i dont want to try it right now. i prefer "BOLT-ON" power and easier modifications to try and boost my horsepower. but i understand it will be minor at that.

so is there any chart that lists the performances of the degrees? i mean minus/plus and the different settings?

buy the plate, the keys can shear off and cause some damage. if you wont some real hp get it ported and your stock head milled.

389362[/snapback]

Bump that! Might as well port it while you have your top end off. I wouldnt scew with a key either. Get a Ricky Stator timing plate for 35.00

Have your flywheel lightened while you have it off. I believe that there are a few members on here that can do it for you, BOONMAN did mine. Maybe throw in a case saver. those were two things that i wish that i would have done the first time i had it apart.

AGUITA: you will need a flywheel puller