Bad Wire in Harness...Which Wires Could Kill CDI?

I had intermittent spark on my Shee and then after screwing with it trying to get it running it finally quite all together. I borrowed another ignition system and harness because I couldn't locate the problem, it fired right up.

That helped me figure out my CDI was bad. I then found out that I also have a problem with my harness. Now with the new CDI, it sometimes sparks, sometimes doesn't. I even had it running once...as soon as I shut it off it lost spark though.

Basically, I've got a wire in the harness that is broke and only getting a connection sometimes.

My question is, what wires in the harness can shut off the bike (I know alot of them are safety crap I don't have hooked up) and/or what wires could fry a CDI if they lost connection?

I've been testing the harness with my multimeter for 4 hours and I'm not finding the problem...ideas?

I had intermittent spark on my Shee and then after screwing with it trying to get it running it finally quite all together.  I borrowed another ignition system and harness because I couldn't locate the problem, it fired right up.

That helped me figure out my CDI was bad.  I then found out that I also have a problem with my harness.  Now with the new CDI, it sometimes sparks, sometimes doesn't.  I even had it running once...as soon as I shut it off it lost spark though.

Basically, I've got a wire in the harness that is broke and only getting a connection sometimes. 

My question is, what wires in the harness can shut off the bike (I know alot of them are safety crap I don't have hooked up) and/or what wires could fry a CDI if they lost connection? 

I've been testing the harness with my multimeter for 4 hours and I'm not finding the problem...ideas?

376017[/snapback]

check very carefully anywhere the harness has a bend or rubs against anything. also check each connector very carefully-sometimes the connection will fail where the connector is crimped on . if you are using an ohmeter to trace the harness-be aware they have limited value. a wire will check good for continuity even if only one strand is left unbroken-it may not carry the current load though. also check all grounds. scrape any paint away & use star type washers on the bolts. :bolt:

If the black/white wire is grounded anywhere, it'll tell the CDI to shut off (handlebar kill switch uses this one).

If the black/red wire is NOT grounded it'll tell the CDI to shut off (key switch uses this one).

If the orange wire is cut or grounded, you won't get any fire to the coil.

If the red, green, red/white or green/white from the stator are cut or grounding out, the stator won't have fire/won't know when to fire (first two carry current, second two send pickup coil signal, I think).

And of course if your ground is bad nothin' works.

If I spent 4 hours and got nowhere with an ohmmeter, and you're sure the stator, coil, pickup coil & gap and CDI are ok (which it sounds like it is), I guess I'd open up the wiring harness and look for physical breaks, fab a new one (or section) or just replace it. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys, that's what I needed to know.

If I spent 4 hours and got nowhere with an ohmmeter, and you're sure the stator, coil, pickup coil & gap and CDI are ok (which it sounds like it is), I guess I'd open up the wiring harness and look for physical breaks, fab a new one (or section) or just replace it.  Good luck.

376421[/snapback]

Yes, I know everything else is functioning as I have my buddies harness here that the bike will run on, swap to my harness, no spark.

I've already opened up the harness and pulled all the tape off of it and fixed a few spots that looked suspicious. If I don't figure it out tomorrow with this new info, I'll fork out 70 bux for a new harness.