Radiator Coolant

I have also seen the radiator caps go bad and not hold . Might check that too along with the impeller .

Mine gets up to 190 when I'm riding hard. 160 and 170 isn't bad. If the coolant is staying in the bike you should be fine.

You can look into the radiator when the bike is cold to see if there are any air bubbles being created from the head.

Another way it to rev it up when it's cold, shut it off and take the cap off... listen for pressure to release. If the bike didn't have time to start warming up there shouldn't be any pressure. Mine did the same thing as loco's at glamis.

I'm not sure you have any problem if the coolant is staying in.

I had the impellor cover off and hit the kickstart just to make sure it was turning and it does. You sure 160-170 ain't bad? That seems insanely hot to me considering it was running 120-130 for the longest time...Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep riding it and if it explodes then so be it.

I had the impellor cover off and hit the kickstart just to make sure it was turning and it does. You sure 160-170 ain't bad? That seems insanely hot to me considering it was running 120-130 for the longest time...Oh well I guess I'll just have to keep riding it and if it explodes then so be it.

378961[/snapback]

If you've done any rejetting it may be running closer to temp

If the radiator cap is f'ed up it will make the bike o-heat and spit coolant as well. Most auto repair shops will have a radiator cap tester with a small cap adapter to see if your cap holds the required 10 lbs. or so of pressure- it's a common size cap on the import cars. A sheared water pump gear could also likely do this type of thing as previously stated.

I haven't read a hole lot of other posts about puking a little coolant right after the radiator and overflow are topped off but that has been mine experience ever since shee was new till now. Usually it pukes once or twice when it first gets real hot from a hard workout after you fill the radiator and you sit for a second at idle or shut if of it pukes out a fair amount of fluid from the breather vent tube. After it does this once or twice it doesn't seem to do it anymore. I'm not sure how well you can compare a 4 stroke to 2 on operating temp, but I have seen the temps as high as 220 on my ducati on a hot summer day stuck in traffic.

it's the running at 160-170* thing I'm worried about.

379137[/snapback]

Don't be!! Mine would run up to 190-200 in the dead heat of the summer. If it goes above 200 then you have something to worry about. One thing I noticed is that when you see it getting hot, go faster. lol, it sounds funny but the faster you go the cooler the air will be hitting your engine which in turn will help cool it down. Worked for me, should work for you. You could also try rejetting like fixitrod suggested. Go up one on the main and see if it helps cool you down some more....

Also, are you 100% sure your temp gauge didn't take a shit? I had some really funky readings from mine after one hot day of riding to find out the actual gauge went bad. Couple bucks later problem was fixed :cheers: If you have a laser temp gauge point it at the head when it's running and compare the numbers to what's on your temp gauge. If they're way off then I'd bet your gauge died. Just something to think about.... :)