Shift star help

I got the cluthbasket off and the primary gear. Now I pulled out the shift shaft enough to get to the shift star. Do I have to take anything else off in order to get the shift star off. I tried loosening the phillips head bolt that holds it but it turns so I tried using a vice grip to hold it but I still cant loosen it. Any suggestions.

After I took that out I still was unable to take it off. Does it slide off. I tried pulling on it but the shaft to the transmission was moving with it. Is it threaded on the transmision shaft. If so then is it lefty loosy right tighty. Do I need to take something else off in order to get it off.

Ok I must be brain dead because I still cant get it. Are you talking about the lever or (shift drum stopper) that is under the shift star. I just don't understand how it comes off. I don't want to pull to hard on anything because Im scared to break it.

I've only done this once...and it was easy. However...I didn't pay that much attention to detail, it just went. Someone will be along shortly that has probably done this a ton of times.

Also...do you have a Clymers manual? Invaluable...