left cylinder smokes more than right

i jus got done replacing the right side pistion and rings and the right and left side oil seals, both cylinders smoke a little, but the left one smokes more than the right one, the right side does not have any exhasut packing and the left does, will that cause this?

i jus got done replacing the right side pistion and rings and the right and left side oil seals, both cylinders smoke a little, but the left one smokes more than the right one, the right side does not have any exhasut packing and the left does, will that cause this?

364689[/snapback]

why did you just do the right side.. and why does only one side have packing?

364689[/snapback]

Each to their own, but I can't see why you wouldn't do both cylinders at the same time. I think it's pretty important to keep the cylinders balanced (i.e- the same condition as far as compression, cylinder pressure) to within 10% of each other.

Did you bore the cylinder or at least have it checked for wear by a machinist? :bolt:

Pull BOTH carbs off. Completely clean out each one. Do ONLY one at a time, because the float bowls are for that side carb. One has a choke circuit jet in it...the other does not.

Check your float height, make sure there's no dirt/debris in the needle/seat area.

Your float height should be at 21cm from the metal gasket surface, bottom of the carb.

Check out the Jetting/Exhaust forum for quite a few complete how to's.

left one smokes more probably because the packing is holding in some oil.

Regardless...they both should be repacked.

Since the previous owner had the bright idea of only replacing one piston, I'd give that whole bike a once over. From grease fittings to tightening bolts, changing fluids to checking some torque specs...

I'd most definately repack BOTH silencers and clean out both carbs for sure.