K&N or Foam Multistage?

K&N or Foam Multistage?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just my two cents on this, i`ve read alot of discussions on this from all the pros here, and they say foam is the way to go, but i and all my friends with shees have been using k/n`s for years with no adverse effects. it`s all coal strippins, the dust is so fine its like baby powder, i hate even breathing it, but our top ends last 3 to 4 seasons and we ride alot. we all use outerwears too, after one hard ride the outerwear will be plugged up, just shake it off and good to go again. by the second ride we have to clean the filter.

I used to ride in Coal Strippens with a K&N and have gone through a few of them. New or used every time I took the filter off afterward there was coal dust in my intake tract. (It was on my blaster) I'd say it all depends on your riding conditions. If you ride in a lot of dusty or wet conditions i'd go with the foam. But if you ride in conditions that arent that incredibly dusty, or in the sand, or something to that degree, go with the K&N with an outerwear.

Keep this in mind too

The difference between the 2 is between 1/2 hp and 1hp

I trust the foam a lot more and the extra hp isnt that important to me

But 1hp on a fourwheeler is noticeable.

Take it easy,

Abyss

I think a k&n filter might be acceptable if you are riding in damp woods areas without any real dust espectilly fine dust. and were you won't hit any mud. However for the power (or the lack of) its not worth it to me foam filters much better.

crazysteve, those guys can also aford to put a new topend on their motors every couple races. You see a lot of dirt bike and quad racers using K&N filters and replacing pistons and rings every couple races too so they can keep the edge on their rings and keep the compression up. Its all in what you want and can aford.

I had a foam filter with outerwear and it would get plugged up too quickly and cause the bike to run terrible. On one occasion, in one ride, it became plugged to the point that it would not even run. Towed it back to camp only to find all it needed was the filter cleaned. Switched to K&N with outerwear and no problems yet, even when going 4-5 tanks of gas between cleanings (5.3 gallon tank)

everyone at glamis i ride with that has used foam filters has switched back the the K&N. They say the foam filters clog up very fast...sometiems after a single ride...thats a huge pain int he ass...

I have been using a K&N since 2000 and ride glamis, i do not clean the Filter every trip just the outwear. I modded the stock filter mount to work with the K&N (single filter not the one with 2 filters) and have had no problems, although it did help removing the airbox lid. Since i stoped cleaning the filter every trip nothing gets int he engin that i can see, not even just a little tiny sprinkle of powder anymore.

everyone is happy with one or the other. I just think if a faom filter is getting clogged up then isn't it because its catching all the dirt?? I can see where that would be a pain in the ass for some riders but I have never had a foam filter clog up on me. If it does I would think you could just peel off the outer foam piece and shake the shit out of it but I dont know because It hasn't happened to me. At any rate its all in what you want...

peace