Toluene Fuel Mixtures

when your o2 sensors goes bad it shouldn't hurt your engine, your computer will go into safe mode a.k.a limp mode and the computer will not pay attention to the bad sensor.  the check engine light will come on and thats it.

349835[/snapback]

I'm from the turbo saturn world. We use WBo2's and the Megasquirt to give us the fuel we need for boost. If your header WBo2 tells Mega to lean you out, it's all over.

I've never head that toluene drys up your seals, which are the ones to worry about? float bowl seal?

tell you what..take some xylene or toluene and put it on a rubber seal..before long it will dry and crack. JMO, hey its not my car. I'm over in the turbo buick world...where real horsepower out of a lil ol 6 is made lol

The turbo regal won't run worth a shit with a bad o2...even with heated o2's etc we still go through them. Race gas tends to eat them up to. I never had a problem on the street when i used xylene before i switched to alky. PERSONALLY, i think alky injection is the way to go. 23psi of boost on pump gas/alky mix. Alky kicks in at 15psi until i let out :D

tell you what..take some xylene or toluene and put it on a rubber seal..before long it will dry and crack.  JMO, hey its not my car. I'm over in the turbo buick world...where real horsepower out of a lil ol 6 is made lol

The turbo regal won't run worth a shit with a bad o2...even with heated o2's etc we still go through them. Race gas tends to eat them up to. I never had a problem on the street when i used xylene before i switched to alky.  PERSONALLY, i think alky injection is the way to go. 23psi of boost on pump gas/alky mix. Alky kicks in at 15psi until i let out :D

350015[/snapback]

ah yes the good ol GN, yeah I forgot to mention that if your car is older than 1996 when OBD-2 started, the computers were not that sophisticated. On 1996 and newer if the computer senses a bad reading from any sensor at any time it will ignore it and run off pre-programmed fuel / timing maps until the code is reset.

Its hard to mix toluene with pump fuel to get over 100 octane. You have to use more toluene than fuel at that point and I have heard many times not to mix over 50% although I dont know why. I have also figued out the cost of buying toluene and mixing with pump fuel and it is cheaper for me to buy 100 octane fuel, or at least it was. A month ago it was about $3.20/gal now it is about $3.70. Same as 110, it was $4.30, now it is $5.00.

If you are using say 20cc domes and timing advance and need only about 95 octane, it is then cost effective to mix pump fuel and toluene.

Here's the equation for figureing out the result of adding (X) gallons of fuel at (Y) octane and Z gallons of tolunene at 114 octane:

((Y*X)+(Z*114))/ (X+Z)

For example to fill your 5 gallon race jug use 4 galons of 91 pump fuel + 1 gallon of toluene = ((91*4)+(114*1))/(4+1) = 95.6 octane

From the research I've done on toluene, it is similar the additives that are used in gas now. It is a petrolium distilate just like gas (both are distilled from crude oil). They have a slight bit more enegy per unit than pump fuel so it has a slight performance benefit aside from being able to run higher compression. Toluene and xylene are both aeromatic hydrocarbons. Gas companies can use aeromatic hydrocarbons to increase a pump fuels octane rating and it is still considered pump fuel by the industry standard untill it gets over 40% aeromatic hydrocarbons, but it typically doesn't exceed 10%.

Here is a post I did on toluene a while back Clicky clicky