Toomey 2:1 High Flow Filter System

richybanshee

Recently I purchased a set of CPI pipes. A few weeks a go I decided to take off the heavy airbox and put in the Toomey Racing 2:1 High Flow filter system with uni filter and outware.

Price

Is okay, for $50 dollars you get an Uni filter with the 2:1 tubes. A k&N air filter for the stock box costs around $40 dollars so the price is not so bad.

It is recommended to buy an outware for any of the filters mentioned.

Looks and construction

It depends, some people may like it others will not. I personally think it looks better than using clamp ons. The 2:1 tube is very well constructed, the construction material is similar to that of the carb boots, but stronger. The piece is very light on weight. Finally the Uni filter looks better than the stock one and seems stronger, with more surface area.

Fit and Installation

Installing the high flow system is extremely easy and you will use only the clamps that hold the carb boots, the system is self sustain. Is very important that you oiled the filter before using it or else dirt may go in your motor. The Uni filter stops dirt with teh help of the oil. I aslo installed an outware, so the filter is more protected against, some water and big rocks, etc. The filter comes with and off set so that it can be adjusted so that it does not hit the stingers. I did not had to put any kind of protection to the filter to keep it from burning with the stinger tubes. Ther is like half an inch between the stingers and the filter.

The worst part of the whole intsllation process is taking the stock airbox out. I had to , first, on bolt the silencers and take them out, took off the 4 bolts that hold the airbox in place and had to fight a little to take the coolant bottle out. Finally took thet box out over the swing arm.

Performance gain

Riding arear conditions: temperature is like 85 farengheit at 1,200 feet from sea level.

With airbox, no lid, stock filter, jetting was: 280 mains needle in 2 clip position 25 pilot jets half a turn out from seated.

With Toomey high flow system and Uni filter, jetting is: 300 mains, everything else is as mentioned above. i tried with 320 mains, but was a little too much.

My CPI pipes are very sensitive to jetting, meaning that one or two sizes more or less on the mains and it can run like crap. After installing the system I had to go two sizes up on the mains. The banshee feels stonger and with a lot of top end, compared to stock.

Conclusion

The Toomey 2:1 high flow system is a very well contructed product, that really works, lets you get to the carbs easier and weight savings, like 5-8 pounds, are warranty. For the serious mudder is not recomended, but for drag racing, motocross, or any riding condition were a lot of water is not involve, then this product will shine like no other. Finally, I have reed a lot of article were it seems that foam filters stop more dirt, and let more air flow, than does K&N's. I recommend this product.

One thing you will need is to buy a coolant bottle braket, since the airbox is off. I just made my own braket of steel and put the stock rubber mounts.

Check http://www.thebansheezone.com/Bansheezone/ToomeyAir.htm for some more explanation on how Meat installed his 2:1 system and more pictures. :cheers:

Check www.toomey.com click on Tech Documents then "Super Blue" foam filter installation instructions for more info

Edited by richybanshee

I agree...well built.

I am going to have to bend my T-5's a bit...since the left side melted a small hole in my BRAND NEW outerwear...and burned just a tad on the filter itself...

However...I used this with back to back with my K&N Pod filters with outerwears, and could honestly not see/hear/feel a difference. Tried new plugs with each filter, both the same...nice, light chocolate brown!!! :)

I do like how the 2 into 1 tucks up under the seat...a little more out of the way then the pods and less likely to get splashed or dirty as fast.

I'd say if you already have pods, don't bother. But, I look at it this way...If I'm riding for a weekend...I have a spare air filter in case one or the other gets dirty...

:)