First time racer

98twin350

I have been riding for about 2 years now and i just moved up to my shee i guess at the beginning of winter, havent had much of a chance to go out riding because of snow but i am going to get out soon cause all of it is mostly gone now, i do allot of riding on LI in the power lines and stuff but i also go to PA every once and a while to ride around in ashland and tower city and stuff like that, my question is i have never raced before and i am 17 years old, so would i go into the begineer under 18 class (if there is one)? someone help me out cause id like to do a hairscramble in PA. any good races for me around, ive been riding for a whiel and consider myself alright. im faster than most of the ppl i ride with but it could just be my quad, we all have banshees but mine has allot more mods than the rest. i have experience riding in the woods and basically just wanna know what the best race for someone like me would be, me and a few friends wanan go race at least once and see how it is. thx, -dave.

ohh yeah, i dont have spark arrestors in my silencers, do you need them? i do have the dea man switch though. anything else i might need?

I'd start in the Beginner or Novice class, some places have First-Year Racer or whatever but there are also some that will throw you in Open C (because you're on a Banshee), just kind of depends on who's putting on the race. Anyway, for your first race I would enter the lowest class you can, you can always move up if you're better than everyone else, but if you enter too high of a class at first it's easy to get discouraged and quit. Racin' is a whole different ball game than trail riding, there's nothing else like it, it's a blast and I think everyone should give it a shot (especially if ya think you're fast hehehe).

You'll need to call around and find out when & where the races are, and what the requirements are. Chances are you will need spark arrestors but ask first. At the very least you'll need numbers & plates, and want to make sure your ride is bulletproof and maintained. Once you hit a couple races and talk to the other racers you'll see where your quad needs improvement (skid plates, tire selection, suspension, gearing, etc.). Being 17 you might not need the physical conditioning that the older guys do, but it doesn't hurt to be in the best shape ya can. Anyway run a search, I think Meat posted some stuff about PA Harescrambles and you should be able to find info about 'em elsewhere on the web. Good luck!!!

You'll need to call around and find out when & where the races are, and what the requirements are. 

341107[/snapback]

That's the deal right there. Call local quad shops/dealerships and ask them about local races. They'll point you in the right direction. From there you'll be able to contact the race associations or parks and get the requirement info. Just start asking... :cheers:

Good luck.