funny gearbox activity....

hey folks- newbie to the forum here.. looks like a great place and I see a lot of local (to me) users already.. anyways, presidents weekend in glamis my gearbox started acting up to where if I would upshift, the tranny lever would move its full motion, and even make a clicking noise, but it wouldnt actually change gears.. it was most noticeable in upshift from 3-4 (maybe 2-3 and 4-5 also)... most noticeable when hauling butt but this past weekend I swapped out the clutch (needed one bad) and as I was testing the new clutch I would sit with the bike idling, and shift thru the gears... sometimes Id have to click the shifter up 4-5 times or more before it would actually change gears... its not that feeling where the shifter jams up-- if you're riding, you think it shifted but when you get back on the throttle it becomes apparent.. also- if I shift all the way up to 6th gear (stopped, bike idling) I can still get movement in the shifter as if Im shifting into 7th gear.. a click and all.... its kind of strange... any ideas? the bike is a '03 that I bought new with some pretty hard riding, but not abusive in my opinion.. I recently did the top end and split the case while I was there to have a look-see and change seals... everything looked great and worked great once I got it back together to break in the new topend.

any ideas? Im sure not looking forward to opening that thing up again, but Im sure its inevitable.... my riding style is clutchless shifting MOST of the time while moving, if that means anything...

thanks

Mike

hey folks- newbie to the forum here.. looks like a great place and I see a lot of local (to me) users already.. anyways, presidents weekend in glamis my gearbox started acting up to where if I would upshift, the tranny lever would move its full motion, and even make a clicking noise, but it wouldnt actually change gears.. it was most noticeable in upshift from 3-4 (maybe 2-3 and 4-5 also)... most noticeable when hauling butt but this past weekend I swapped out the clutch (needed one bad) and as I was testing the new clutch I would sit with the bike idling, and shift thru the gears... sometimes Id have to click the shifter up 4-5 times or more before it would actually change gears...  its not that feeling where the shifter jams up-- if you're riding, you think it shifted but when you get back on the throttle it becomes apparent.. also- if I shift all the way up to 6th gear (stopped, bike idling) I can still get movement in the shifter as if Im shifting into 7th gear.. a click and all.... its kind of strange... any ideas? the bike is a '03 that I bought new with some pretty hard riding, but not abusive in my opinion..  I recently did the top end and split the case while I was there to have a look-see and change seals... everything looked great and worked great once I got it back together to break in the new topend.

any ideas? Im sure not looking forward to opening that thing up again, but Im sure its inevitable.... my riding style is clutchless shifting MOST of the time while moving, if that means anything...

thanks

Mike

333914[/snapback]

I don't think your problem is in the gearbox. If you have a clymers manual look up the external shift mechanism adjustment. The shaft that goes to the shift drum. I don't know how to describe it but the two pins have to be evenly spaced or it won't shift right. Check that. I can be done without taking the clutch off but it is a lot easier if you do

I don't think your problem is in the gearbox. If you have a clymers manual look up the external shift mechanism adjustment. The shaft that goes to the shift drum. I don't know how to describe it but the two pins have to be evenly spaced or it won't shift right. Check that. I can be done without taking the clutch off but it is a lot easier if you do

333916[/snapback]

Tha'ts what iI was thinking too. Should be the first thing to check though. It has happened to me but not the same symptom.

good call guys.. I think I can pull the left side cover off w/o too much hassle so I'll check it out ... as for the clymer manuals, I dont have one but Ive seen em around.. I do have the yamaha factory manual and man if I didnt get it free, it would have been a total waste of money.. maybe i'll ebay the clymer... Ill keep you updated on my problems.. keep the suggestions comin

thanks

mike

• 2 weeks later...

Update------------

tore into the beast this weekend.. the shift shaft was the culprit... the little C-shaped metal thing at the end of it that ratchets on the dowels that stick out of the shift star... the rivet that holds it to the shift shaft was extremely worn almost to the point of complete failure.... the thing wobbled back and forth and would just slip off the shiftstar dowels..... around $30 bucks in stock at the yammy dealer and now it shifts like a DREAM... what a difference..

Ill post pics if theres any interest..... if anyones having problems shifting or the bike seems to miss shifts, check this part out... the parts guy said they sell lots of that part.....

easter weekend Ill be screamin' in ocotillo again :cheers:

thanks again, all who chimed in!

-Mike