new top end problems

93blueoval

hey guys, i just rebuilt my top end with wiseco pistons and i put a pro design cool head on it with 22cc domes. this is the first time i have rebuilt it, so i probably messed up somewhere. But anyway, i rode it today for the first time and it is only smoking out of the left side, and it is blowing black oil out of the left exhaust. i dont know if somehting is seriously messed up, or what. also it is really weaking out, like it is only running on one cylinder, i am guessing that has something to do with the fact that it is only smoking out of one side. also it is having problems unrevving, the slide on the carb is coming down, but it stays revved up, and sometimes even rapps itself out. really confusing??? any help would be great.

ingnition coil switch the plug leads and see if the side thats not firing starts blowing smoke as you say. i think you may have an electrical problem and or forgot to put the rings on one of the pistons (the not firing one of corse) check the oil level in your crank case you could be sucking oil from that due to the missing ring, its putting out the spark way before it has a chance to burn anything. also that problem with it idleing down, vacume leak. could be from the missing rings could be from bad gaskets in the new top end could also be from not torqing it down properly, either the pattern you used or the ft# rating. start checking its one of those things my guess is the rings though due to the 10 lbs presure differance. how long did you leave the presure on the checker? 10 seconds or 2 minutes?

sorry about the compression check part i have been reading posts so long they start to blur together. and you say you did put the rings on. thats good maybe one of them came apart. pull your pipes off and shine a light into the port, turn your motor over and look to see if they came apart maybe a bad ring to begin with. also do a compression check might find a vacume leak or shattered rings just my .02 keeps us posted on what you find

i did a compression check and both cylinders hold a good 135 psi. i switched the plug wires and same thing, only smokes out of left side. i switched teh plugs, and same thing also. are there torque specs on the jugs bolting to the crankcase, because that is the only thing i did not torque down, i am just trying to figure out things that i may have overlooked on the rebuild. otherwise i have no idea. I took out the reeds and the look about the same so i dont know?!?!?!?!! :huh:

• 1 year later...

what does a stuck ring mean? hwo do you fix it?

its not a stuck ring,the compression is good,check your stator for chewed wires or maybe its rusted or wet check your floats in your carb on the side thats not firing,i had the same problem and it was the float it was sticking and not letting fuel come out the carb.if your getting spark then its gotta be a fuel prob,if i can help u any more pm me.

its not a stuck ring,the compression is good,check your stator for chewed wires or maybe its rusted or wet check your floats in your carb on the side thats not firing,i had the same problem and it was the float it was sticking and not letting fuel come out the carb.if your getting spark then its gotta be a fuel prob,if i can help u any more pm me.

wow that reply was late.that post is over a year old. :yelrotflmao: