How much should this cost?

kdneo

I sent my shee into the shop because I had heave smoke coming out of the left pipe, and WAY less compresstion in the left cylinder, turned out to be 70, compared to the 125 in the right. Any way, the mechanic tore it open and recomened a new head gasket and rings. Now that means almost nothing to me, as I know little about motors, though I know what the head gasket is. He told me that after parts and labor it will cost about $280 that sound right??? Keep in mind I live in AZ so this is the busy time of year, and ATV parts are expensive here, because people need them so they can charge more.

Thanks guys!

Well, considering a new top end kit (pistons, rings, all gaskets) runs 160 on ebay and takes a couple of hours to teardown and install, and then your done... the price you were quoted is a little high for me. But, if you don't have the tools and means to do it yourself, I guess 280 isn't too bad considering that's including troubleshooting the problem too. As long as you're willing to pay it, that's all that truly matters. :cheers:

go with the whole top end......top end kit will be 150, 100 for boring and that leaves 3 hours at 50 bucks an hour for labor.....thats about right.....go get the whole top end done, with compression difference like that you got some wear and tear on those cylinders.

I am having a mechanic who works for one of the local shops do this as a side project. So I called a shop in town today to see what they would charge for the same work and they told me that it would cost $560 + tax!!! So I guess I am getting a pretty good deal, prolly about $200 cheaper! Not too bad, right?