2nd gear grinding

smokinwrench

My banshee has been grinding in 2nd gear. If I'm in 2nd and just slowly ease into the throttle it will stay in gear. If I'm drag racing it will make grinding noise and not move while in 2nd. All the other gears seem good.

I tore the engine apart and I don't see anything that is obviously wrong with it. I was expecting to see some totally thrashed gears but they look very good to me. I'm wondering if the shift shaft could cause this problem?

Could possibly be the shift shaft, did it ever bind up in 2 gears or anything like that?  shift forks bent?  How's your clutch & clutch basket look?

298507[/snapback]

I have never noticed it bind up in 2 gears.

Clutch and basket both look good.

I didn't check to see if forks were bent. I figured they would just break instead of bend they appear to be made out of pot metal.

While shifting through the gears with the top case off everything appears to be normal. Only reason I'm saying shift shaft is because Jim at Jims sand toys told me that could do it.

I just got done checking it over very closely. I think I have a couple minor problems causing this. I have a shift fork that is slightly bent and has wear. The gear that engages into 2nd also has a rounded edge. My shift drum looks good only slight wear but thats expected of a 98 model.

My shift shaft has about 1/16 movement up and down from the case having wear. Is there a cheap and easy way to fix that.

I had the same problem the gears looked great the shift drum and the forks had some wear but not much :( I replaced the shift drum and the forks and all of the bearings and seals, no more problem.I also had Boonman do my shift star and fly wheel and head while it was down :dance: .I got my parts from world of power sports on the net they are cheaper than the local stealership. :cheers: