going from 4 stroke to 2 stroke

I need some advice from some experienced riders. I've been riding 4 strokes all my life, ttr-125's and crf 150's to 400ex's, kfx 400 and raptors. I am kinda getting tired of them and have decided that next summer I'm gonna get me a new, or used, banshee. I have never ridden one before and I probably wont get to untill the day I buy one.

I've never really ridden a 2 stroke much either. I have rode my friends blaster once or twice and my cousin's cr 125 one time. And I have to say those times were the most fun I'd ever had on a quad or bike. To me, 2 strokes are ten times more fun to ride :cheers: .

Now, about my question. How much difference is there in riding technique, like clutching, throttle, shifting, etc., between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke? How long does it take to get good at riding a banshee? The blaster I rode had almost all mid and top end power and pretty much no bottom end. I've always been used to having plenty of bottom end power, so I had a little trouble riding the blaster on trails and hills and stuff. Would I have any trouble riding a banshee? cause i ain't really used to the powerband of a 2 stroke.

I've never had a problem with my shee in the trails... i can out run my friend's raptor any day through the woods.

The powerband will take some getting used to, but once you do, you'll love it. It will be just like any other 2 stroke... not much bottom end, all mid and top, but there are exhaust setups that will give you more bottom end. You will also have to do alot more shifting than with a 4 stroke, but it becomes second nature in no-time.

Over all... you have to make a few sacrifices such as riding alone at times (seeing as how you'll outrun everyone else), dry skin due to wind, sore ass (tends to slide you to the back of the seat when the throttle's hammered), and your eyes will water from the quick accerleration. But it's all worth it to have the easiest quad to get power out of, and the best 4 wheeled addrenaline rush ever.

Over all... you have to make a few sacrifices such as riding alone at times (seeing as how you'll outrun everyone else), dry skin due to wind, sore ass (tends to slide you to the back of the seat when the throttle's hammered), and your eyes will water from the quick accerleration. But it's all worth it to have the easiest quad to get power out of, and the best 4 wheeled addrenaline rush ever.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: bravo !!! that was great Edited by MudSlinger09

I need some advice from some experienced riders. I've been riding 4 strokes all my life, ttr-125's and crf 150's to 400ex's, kfx 400 and raptors. I am kinda getting tired of them and have decided that next summer I'm gonna get me a new, or used, banshee. I have never ridden one before and I probably wont get to untill the day I buy one.

I've never really ridden a 2 stroke much either. I have rode my friends blaster once or twice and my cousin's cr 125 one time. And I have to say those times were the most fun I'd ever had on a quad or bike. To me, 2 strokes are ten times more fun to ride :cheers: .

Now, about my question. How much difference is there in riding technique, like clutching, throttle, shifting, etc., between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke? How long does it take to get good at riding a banshee? The blaster I rode had almost all mid and top end power and pretty much no bottom end. I've always been used to having plenty of bottom end power, so I had a little trouble riding the blaster on trails and hills and stuff. Would I have any trouble riding a banshee? cause i ain't really used to the powerband of a 2 stroke.

295820[/snapback]

[/Would I have any trouble riding a banshee? quote] You'll know bout 3 seconds after you pin the throttle! :P

Basically I think if you can ride,you can ride.But comming off a 4 stroke,you might be wanting too shift too soon.Let er scream!

You'll know bout 3 seconds after you pin the throttle! :P

Basically I think if you can ride,you can ride.But comming off a 4 stroke,you might be wanting too shift too soon.Let er scream!

295831[/snapback]

I think thats the problem I had when I rode that blaster. cause when I would shift to 3rd, 4th, or 5th, I would always bog the motor and would have to clutch it to get back on the pipe :shootself: . Only when I would drag race with it I could shift 1st through 6th and stay on the pipe the hole time B)

What about over-revving a 2 stroke? When ever I drag on a 4 stroke, I like to whind out each gear untill I feel the power stop pullin. How do u know when to shift on a 2 stroke that has alot of top end power? Do you shift right when you hit the powerband or do you hold it wide open untill it doesn't pull and then shift?

I've never really ridden a 2 stroke much either. I have rode my friends blaster once or twice and my cousin's cr 125 one time. And I have to say those times were the most fun I'd ever had on a quad or bike. To me, 2 strokes are ten times more fun to ride  :cheers: .

295820[/snapback]

Takes some getting used to, I know, always had 4 strokes and it was pretty eye opening that my son whos been riding a blaster rode my banshee better than I did (and still does). Definately stay away from the short shifting, once you get on the pipe and keep her wound up, the beast will give you the biggest freakin rush on 4 wheels you can imagine. First ride I had on the banshee, even short shifting, scared the crap out of me (but what a rush) cuz the pull never ends. You can tell by the sound of the exhaust and the feel of the motor when its about to hit. Just keep it a gear lower than what you think it should be in on the trails and you'll be okay.

• 3 weeks later...

what about going down hills on a 2 stroke? When ever I'm on my 400ex I usually just keep it in 1st or 2nd and let the engine braking slow me down. The day I rode my friend's blaster on one of my hill climbs I had so much fun. I think his blaster (just had a toomey pipe and jetted) could pull that hill alot better than my 400 (which is stock, except for holeshots). And it was so fun climbin that hill in 3rd gear on the pipe :P even if it was just on a blaster. But then when I got to the top and started coming back down, things changed. His blaster pretty much has no back brakes, and barely any front brakes. As I started over the hill in 1st, I noticed that the motor wasn't slowing me down, like on a four stroke. So I just held the clutch in and used what brakes i had. I almost shit my pants I was going so fast and I couldn't hardly stop. :lol:

Is that the correct way to decend a hill on a two stroke, hold in the clutch and use the brakes?

If you hold the clutch in to long you will weld the ball and pushrod inside the case..(the ball and rod are used to push the pressure plate out). It's the same as a four stroke, just need to be in a lower gear and once again.. rpm's. Ride out the rpms on these and you'll learn how much fun they really are.

Hi Trail:

Two-strokes of similar displacement perform much better. A Banshee, the only twin-cylinder two-stroke ever produced, is not for the faint of heart. I broke my back in four places on one in May of 2003. I am very lucky to be alive let alone walking and riding again.

Now having said that...

Two strokes have a personality and act a lot like a woman. They are moody. You will want to learn something called jetting, fuel mix ratios and learn quickly how to change fouled spark plugs trailside. It is not really as bad as it sounds and a skill that is quickly learned but rarely mastered (that's why we all trade notes on sites like this).

Plan on more frequent but much cheaper and easier engine rebuilds. Plan on learning how to change your oil while you ride (hint: just gas it :rotflmao: ). Plan on a lot more fun and leaving everyone else behind.

Now remember a Banshee has two two-stroke cylinders. One way I felt the moody powerband is like this:

One cylinder enters the powerband. It smacks the otherone upside the dome and says, "Are you coming with me or are we going to twist the crank and/or throw a road?". When the second one kicks in it is truely a rocket to ride!

Your friend should have his brakes serviced on that Blaster. It sounds like you are comparing apples to oranges. Does the four-stroke your were comparing the Blaster to need it's brakes serviced? I never had any trouble descending any hills on a Banshee. Of course you might be just a little more brave/stupid than I am. :D

If you are an experienced ATV rider who likes performance you are making the right decision. Just be careful. All this power has to be respected! Try not to end up like me.

-Bill