Runs Bad In Cold Weather

flyin_banshee

I'm new to the two stroke world, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I purchased a 98 Banshee in August of this year and it ran like a raped ape. I mean it starts on the first kick and won't keep the front wheels on the ground.

Now in the cold Michigan weather it is hard to start and it doesn't like to idle you have to keep reving the motor. Also when your riding it has a definite bog when you jump into the throttle but then runs fast after the bog. It also will sometimes backfire when you let out of the throttle.

I assume it needs to be rejetted for cold weather or the air screw needs adjustment. But not really sure what to do or where the air screw is. Also are 2 strokes more sensitive to weather changes than a 4 stroke? I ride with all 4 strokes and they didn't have a problem this weekend with the cold.

Mods for your info - Pro Circuit Pipes and Silencers, Bored 40 over with about 12 hours on the rebuild, UNI filter w/ lid on, and stock carbs. Also used gas I bought in September and I use Klotz Super Techniplate oil 32:1 mix

Thanks for your help

4strokes need rejetted too if they were jetting right on too. Sounds like you were pretty close to dead on with your jetting, that's all. For every 15deg decrease in temp you should go up 1 main jet size if your jetting is dead on. Of course this is just rule of thumb but a good place to start. There's nothing wrong with being a little rich. You may even start a little log or journal of jetting and temps. That way you know what works and what doesn't. I use to just put the airbox lid on when the temp dropped some. Good for about 1 to 1.5 jet sizes I'd guess. It worked for me anyway. Now that I have the setup I'm currently running that won't work.

Also, on your pilots, you could just try turning the screw in some. Maybe a quarter to half turn. Just keep both carb screws at the same place from seated. You may just buy the next bigger pilot for them while you are putting your mains in. The stock size pilot is 25 and the next bigger is 27.5. I think you'll be fine my adjusting with the screw though. I really do.

the hard to start and the bogging are symptoms of a lean condition, and that's what happens when the temps drop. your buddys might have a more restricted intake where the temps won't make a whole lot of difference, or they could've been jetted a tad rich to begin with and it didn't lean out as much.

go up a size on your main and then go up a size on your pilot as well, and also play with your needle. you might want to put it in the 4th clip from the top/blunt end if it's not there already.

rod's got the info right on for you, nothin for me to really add.

the hard to start and the bogging are symptoms of a lean condition, and that's what happens when the temps drop.  your buddys might have a more restricted intake where the temps won't make a whole lot of difference, or they could've been jetted a tad rich to begin with and it didn't lean out as much. 

go up a size on your main and then go up a size on your pilot as well, and also play with your needle.  you might want to put it in the 4th clip from the top/blunt end if it's not there already. 

rod's got the info right on for you, nothin for me to really add.

286330[/snapback]

Thanks for the info from both of you. It was a big help...

I'm new to the two stroke world, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I purchased a 98 Banshee in August of this year and it ran like a raped ape.  I mean it starts on the first kick and won't keep the front wheels on the ground. 

Now in the cold Michigan weather it is hard to start and it doesn't like to idle you have to keep reving the motor.  Also when your riding it has a definite bog when you jump into the throttle but then runs fast after the bog.  It also will sometimes backfire when you let out of the throttle.

I assume it needs to be rejetted for cold weather or the air screw needs adjustment.  But not really sure what to do or where the air screw is.  Also are 2 strokes more sensitive to weather changes than a 4 stroke?  I ride with all 4 strokes and they didn't have a problem this weekend with the cold.

Mods for your info - Pro Circuit Pipes and Silencers, Bored 40 over with about 12 hours on the rebuild, UNI filter w/ lid on, and stock carbs.  Also used gas I bought in September and I use Klotz Super Techniplate oil 32:1 mix

Thanks for your help

286267[/snapback]

Don't be sorry for finally getting a 2 stroke,be thankful for getting your shit together.