Powervalves - couple questions

sredish

I've just been thinkin about where I want to go with the shee a lot lately. Whats the cheapest way to get into powervalves for the shee and how much power can you expect to gain alone with the addition of them?

I'm sure there are other things that are more hp for your dollar. I'm not too famililar with going that direction so I thought I'd ask.

Later.

I wont be cheap by any means, i talked to sand trix in tulsa and it was 2600 for a complete ported top end with labor i belive, not sure if it came with carbs or not, and plus the cost of the +4 crank. i havent talked to any other places so im not sure if this is the cheaper place to go with.

I wont be cheap by any means, i talked to sand trix in tulsa and it was 2600 for a complete ported top end with labor i belive, not sure if it came with carbs or not, and plus the cost of the +4 crank. i havent talked to any other places so im not sure if this is the cheaper place to go with.

:o Is that with brand new jugs and carbs!?!?! A port job is 400$, new set of carbs (ebay) like 250$, crank setup 500$.

Mike

The cheapest by far is to us an RZ motor. I think broke is the resident expert. Minkia was talking about selling his RZ powered banshee a while back, maybe he still has it.

I rode broke's RZ powered quad at Silver Lake. I was amazed. I thought that my motor had a nice broad power band. His was awesome. I didn't even have to shift. It was like riding a four stroke except it sounded a lot better. :P

Kinda dumb here, shows how limited my intelligence level is, but what externally on the shee is different, i guess i'm asking, what prevents adpapting rz powervalves to the shee cylinders? They're pretty much the same correct, I'd think they wouldn't really change anything during casting, or did they? :confused:

The power valves are part of the cylinders, not an add-on feature. The RZ cylinders are different enough that they use a different head than the banshees.

I was pretty sure of that, but not 100%. Thanks for that. So, that answers that.

a few nice things about using the rZ jugs and head would be the much much bigger water jackets that tehy have

and they use a thermostat wich i thought would actually be kinda nice for wintertime riding

but i woudl get ahold of minkia or maybe he will pitch in his opinion since he has ran an RZ motor along with a stroker so he prob knows the pro's and con's of each one

I have always asked myself why yamaha has never integrated the powervalve system into the banshee. I spoke to a Yamaha rep the other day at school (motorcycle mechanics institute). He said that there is no real hp gain in the powervalve system, just more usable powerband. With the banshee revving so easily with alot of usable powerband they found no need to put it on. Kind of a wierd answer for a factory rep, but thats what he said. I think it was selling so good as is that they said f' it it's cheaper without it. I dunno, but when they started putting it on snowmobiles it really helped out alot, but they also use variable ratio clutches. I still think it would be a good idea, along with one big flatslide carb.

that was a pretty uneducated answer from that rep. no the actual powervalve doesnt give more power, but you can have a higher exaust port for more top end and loose no bottom end. or keep the same ex. port and gain a bunch of low end. works great either way even on a banshee...thats why cheetah and trex cylenders are popular

As far as bang for the buck goes, RZ motors are a great alternative to the more expensive monoblock PV set ups. The Jugs themselves looking some thing like the Banshee jugs with the powervalves right at the front.

The basic port layout of the RZ cylinder is better than the Banshee, that's why they make more HP stock. It really comes down to what you are looking for, it top end is it, Banshee jugs are a better idea. If you are looking for a broad powerband that pulls well off the pipe, the RZ motor may be what you want. I had mine ported by Patriot to have a very broad powerband for MX, so it doesn't pull on top like some Banshee set ups. But I also ride it differently too, like MrMatt said it doesn't need to be shifted much. I tend to bog gears way down then just let the motor pull itself back up on the pipe. It is a great trail motor, My jetting was way off at the dunes so I can't really give you an accurate ride review in the sand.

I built mine from parts which was a pain in the ass. The electronics really are the hard part. I have a set of jugs sitting here waiting to some day become a stroker, so if you would like close up pics of everything just let me know.