Kegerator

John19

Back in college, a friend who had his own apartment made one. Take a old, working refrigerator and take the shelfs out. Put the Keg in and sit the CO2 (I think that is what they use) tank behind the refrigerator. Drill a hole for the CO2 supply line. He then drilled a hole and mounted a tap on the outside of the door and added a tap handle like you see in a bar. The beauty of this setup is you can now fill the freezer with mugs. Just pull a frosty mug from the freezer and fill you up a cold beer.

AHH HA! beer, my specialty, you will need a regulator to run the Co2 into, this connects the gas to the beer, bout 80 bucks at a beer supply store or restaraunt supply house. then the cheapest way to get a Co2 tank is to find a 20lb bottle that was used for a soda fountain somewhere (lasts about 6-7 kegs) and you will need a tap, you can get one at the same place you find a regulator, drill a hole in the fridge you are gonna use, fit the tap, connect everything and drink away.

but what about the fitting that actually goes onto the tap itself. does beer flow through it, or how does that work. im quite interested in this, but mainly i will be buildin a fookin long supplys line made of copper tubing that will be run through an ice chest filled with ice. should be cheaper and easir to maintain that way. not to mention highly portable.

I bought a kegerator about a year ago.

It's a sanyo (I know, they make kegerators?)

It's roughly 3.5' high x 2' wide - just big enough to hold a half barrel (15.5 gallons) and the CO2 tank.

It came with everything. All I had to do was have the air filled and go get a keg.

I was going to do the fridge conversion kit but decided against it.

A lot of old refridgerators are extremely inefficient when it comes to electricty use and keeping things cold.

If your're going to convert an old fridge, just by a conversion kit. Sold lots o places. They will have everything you need including a regulator.

Sounds like what you're talking about (the portable version) is really a "jockey box" Run keg beer through iced cooler to cool beer. Not bad for a one day picnic if the keg is realtivety cold but not a good longer term solution.