cuttin fenders

yamaharacr34

ah, man... nuthin uglier than a banshee with cut front fenders... well accept a raptor with hacked front fenders (my buddy did this to his and it looks like hell) I could never do it...MO :shootself::flush:banghead:cry:

Like stclark04 said...I just used electrical tape to lay out the line to follow on each fender, then took a jigsaw with a fine blade and just took my time. Came out real clean, didn't have to hardly sand off any rough edges. I was going to use the saws-all, but the jigsaw worked out better since it was lighter & smaller. ;)

BackUp.jpg

I used masking tape, as I hate using electrical tape because I can't cleanly tear the shit.

I also made a quick guage to mark how far over I was laying the tape from the fender. I used a simple piece of string. I would tape it to the edge of the fender, then mark where it was on the fender rear, then I did the other side, then I did the very front edge of the rears, left and right. Then I laid the tape down, looked at it from 100 different angles to make sure they were even as well.

Then I got out the 3" cut off. You don't want to be in the line of fire when you're cutting with one of those. I had melted plastic on my face hands arms..you name it and THE SHIT IS HOT! I cut on the outside of the tape so I didn't lose my place.

When I was done, there were some rough lines where the wheel didn't get perfectly straight, so I used the wheel to smooth it a little.

When that was done, I put some 180 grit in a block sander and started smoothing the edge. I worked my way to 600 grit and then started rolling over the sawed edge to soften it a little.

I think it turned out pretty good for my second time, and my first time worked out just as well. Just have to put some thought and planning into it.

I used masking tape, as I hate using electrical tape because I can't cleanly tear the shit.

I also made a quick guage to mark how far over I was laying the tape from the fender. I used a simple piece of string. I would tape it to the edge of the fender, then mark where it was on the fender rear, then I did the other side, then I did the very front edge of the rears, left and right. Then I laid the tape down, looked at it from 100 different angles to make sure they were even as well.

Then I got out the 3" cut off. You don't want to be in the line of fire when you're cutting with one of those. I had melted plastic on my face hands arms..you name it and THE SHIT IS HOT! I cut on the outside of the tape so I didn't lose my place.

When I was done, there were some rough lines where the wheel didn't get perfectly straight, so I used the wheel to smooth it a little.

When that was done, I put some 180 grit in a block sander and started smoothing the edge. I worked my way to 600 grit and then started rolling over the sawed edge to soften it a little.

I think it turned out pretty good for my second time, and my first time worked out just as well. Just have to put some thought and planning into it.

a little anal are we? :D

well, I might change my mind about hateing the look of cut fenders after looking at yours cotton eyed joe... I like the look of both fenders cut. but I ride some wet stuff and sometimes mud and I really need a little blockage from the flying shit. If I rode sand exclusively I would prolly do it like you did for the extra speed. but that leaves no where for decals... :confused:

YES! lol

Only because I knew someone once that did theirs with a hacksaw blade and a case of beer. It didn't look good at all. We gave him shit about it for years.

It might have taken me 15-20 minutes to get satisfied with the tape line and another 15 to cut it. Sanding it was a chore, but it the quality is there I think.

LOL!! :D