anyone know how much hp fords 4.6 has?

nickxc

any other opinions on my question?? I wanna know how much of a difference there is between a chevy 5.0 and a ford 4.6 My buddy had a 96 mustang with a 4.6 in it and it seemed fast as hell but I was just a junior in high school then so everything seemed fast... any more opinions :confused::confused:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any other opinions on my question??  I wanna know how much of a difference there is between a chevy 5.0 and a ford 4.6    My buddy had a 96 mustang with a 4.6 in it and it seemed fast as hell but I was just a junior in high school then so everything seemed fast... any more opinions :confused:  :confused:

It's been a while but the way I remember it a 96 mustang gt is reasonably close to the way the Crown Vic is power wise now the newer gt's have more power they start at 260hp. I don't really know what the police interceptor puts out, but they are very quick and they will climb pretty high 130+ I've never topped one out no need. I have a subscription to muscle mustangs and fast fords and the guys at that magazine believe that the 4.6 will be a better engine than the 5.0. Tons of potential in the 4.6. The stock 5.0's were not putting out that much HP even in cobra form unless it's the cobra R. If your bidding on auction stay reasonable and then you can always sell it and get your money back. We bought one put 25,000 on it and still made $1,000 a year later. And you'll always be able to drive through the median without worry because those cars are built tough unlike the Impala, which the Impala the city cops here have tops at 110mph not governed that's just all it has. Plus if the ricers cause you problems just put a push bar on the front and shove them off the road. :headbang::headbang:

As I said before we've had three, two bought at auction and one that was never used as a police car but with the full police package you won't be dissapointed for the money. I would buy one if I needed a four door car in a heartbeat. I also have a friend that has one of the baby blue commercial vehicle ones he is running straight pipes and it's a real head turner, ugly color but loud, it's fast enough that we passed 10 cars in one shot on a two lane road. :whoa: That's the way I felt. Be careful if it's a commercial vehicle one though they sometimes scratch the hell out of the rear end when they drag the scales in and out of the trunk. But the commercial ones don't get occupants in the back as much as the other ones if ever. Also cop cars do have a nice reading light in the front don't flip it on at night while you want to be able to see they are pretty bright. For a while there was alot of talk about a 400 HP V10 in the police cars that was supposed to start this year but I haven't heard a thing about them for a couple years.

Everybody that keeps bringing the other vehicles into this change the pulley and you can run 22psi boost on a lightning without changing anything else, not even the fuel pump, that puts out just shy of 525HP. The ford SVT team has put the lightning motor in a Ranger, anybody want to drag against that?

Edited by PUSH THE THROTTLE

you are also talking about two different motors. one a single cam and one a dual overhead cam. i believe the 4.6 is a dual overhead cam engine(in the cobras) thats a big difference in the single overhead 5.4 thats in the lightnings.

Single cam engines are cheaper and easier to build big power out of IMO....

I have a 4.6 2v SOHC that makes over 500 rwhp so how can that be a terd. Obviously some people don't know what there talking about.

You got a dyno sheet to back that up? If so, post it up.

Ls1's are reliable if you build them right. Same as any other motor.

Pretty sure i read about it in one of the ford magazines. fast fords or some chit like that. My s-10 put down about 450 or so with a vortec 355. It was a handlful to drive. I traded it for the grand national about 3 years ago. I didn't have huge tires like the ranger did. I had a set of torq thrusts with 245/40/17 tires. It would just anihilate those. It almost wasn't even fun after awhile. But if i would have put better tires and a drag radial or something like that, it would have hooked up a little better. That is, if the rear end would hold up. I doubt it.

here are a few pics of my toys....

the s-10 i traded for the grand national..got some pics of it somewhere. I only had it for 3 months. Got it back, sold it as is and then bought the 87 turbo-t in chicago. still have it and the camaro. All of these cars were built by me.(but of course i have no clue what i'm talking about :rolleyes: ) The camaro has a full forged set-up..383, afr heads, plenty of other stuff. The regal has a list a mile long of little mods. Only internal engine mods are lt1 valve springs and a comp custom grind cam.

Havent ran the camaro at the strip yet. Regal knocks down 11.0's at 119 on a regular basis with 110 and 26-27lbs of boost. I could run more boost and get some 10's, but i'm just not ready for a roll cage.

the 87 turbo-t regal

regal3.jpg

Regal1.jpg

Yes I do have a dyno sheet on my car it made 501 rwhp and 475 rwtq at murillo motorsports in San Antonio, TX. I'll have to go to a friends house to scan it sometime next week, going out of town tonight.

I believe you man, i was just giving you shit. Don't really care to see it. I never said you can't make good power out of them, I just said that I thought ls1's had more potential. The 4.6 just isn't impressive to me, thats all. MY opinion.

I just said that I thought ls1's had more potential. The 4.6 just isn't impressive to me, thats all. MY opinion.

From what I heard the LS1's are harder to get the bigger numbers out of? They come pretty strong out of the factory. I don't really know nor do I care. I just like to read the mags keeps me busy. Even though I dislike your brands you got a nice collection.

Does the Camaro have another exhaust pipe that I can't see? It's a Z28 but I can't see another pipe???

I'd like to see the white and black car in the Camaro pic line up with the Camaro I'm guessing the Oval will hand it to you.

Does that S10 stay cool? Alot of the bigger motors I've seen in trucks are really hard to maintain a good temp with.

I have a 2,000 lightnng

I don't think I've ever noticed anyone put a comma in a year before. Is this a new trend?

Can you post a picture of it? I would like to see this machine but I bet the Turbo-T would smoke you.