should i get a banshee

im 16, 240lbs, 5'9.

my 82 KE100 is shitty, but i just got it fixed so i can sell it for $1000 canadian.

me and my dad were looking for another cheap bike (a 94' CR250 for 2500) and an 83 XR350 for 1800

iv always wanted a quad to do 360s in mud and stuff, not have to muscle a bike around in the woods, do powerslides, but the bikes are always cheap.

i like the banshees because i love 2-strokes, and it seems like a dirtbike on 4 wheels.

what year do you think i can find a good shee' that is $2500 canadian? thatll be about 2000 american. im thinking an 87' - 92'.

mixing gas: not a problem

tightening chain: not a problem (unless it stripes the bolts everytime like my KE100)

tranny oil: not a problem

air filter: not a problem

i ride trails and fields and snow and mud and jump (sounds like i need a 400ex?) but those are like 4 grand.

msn xr50layke@hotmail.com

aim xr50layke

...even if you had 4 grand a 400ex would be a pos......

I definitely must dissagree on this one. Banshees are not the best thing out there for every situation and this sure sounds like one of them. I think you would be very happy with a 400EX for your type of riding, your age, size, and experience. I love my Shee in the sand but don't have the balls, the skill, or the interest to take it anywhere else.

im 16, 240lbs, 5'9.

i ride trails and fields and snow and mud and jump (sounds like i need a 400ex?) but those are like 4 grand.

No offense, but being that short, and weighing that much, you may want to consider a raptor or DS 650. Now I'm not saying you're too heavy for a banshee, nor am I pushing 4 strokes, but from a suspension and ride height viewpoint, the raptor or DS would be better. I have a friend who weighs about that much, but he's a bit taller, and 22. When he'd sit on my banshee, it seemed funny looking. The banshee already sits low anyway, but with that much weight, sits even lower. He owns a raptor, and when he sits on it, he sits about even with me on my banshee for the simple fact that the raptor has a higher seat height. The raptor just suits him better.

Power band issues with that much weigh will be an issue as well. The banshee has more power than almost every 4 stroke out there with the exception of a few. A stock banshee won't have much bottom end torque, where as a modified one might, depending on the mods. You'll have to do a lot more clutch/throttle work to keep it moving smoothly and in the peak of the power band. Granted it can be done, but it'll be a bit more tricky with more weight.

As far as the type of riding you do... I do all of that and then some. I've never had a problem riding in any terrain since I put on new tires. Riding various terrain is a bit tricky due to the touchy powerband, but with a little practice, you'll learn clutch/throttle control.

Jumping is easy with a shee. Granted it's not as balanced as a 400EX, but it still gets the job done. The shee has the ability to accelerate quicker than most quads, with a limited amount of space, meaning jumps will be a bit easier when coming out of a short, tight corner. I went to a local track 2 weeks ago for the first time. A week before that I watched bike and quad races there, and a 400EX took first over 2 450Rs, a 250R (female rider), and a YFZ 450 (brand new, rider wasn't owner and didn't have a fucking clue). There was one jump in particular that's a nice 30-40 foot step up, and these guys weren't even clearing it. The EX was coming the closest, but everyone else was hitting in the middle. These guys have memberships and ride this trakc all the time, but when I rode it for the first time, I was pulling faster times than they were, and clearing the jump with little effort. Needless to say, I don't race, and wasn't familiar with the track... but I will be racing soon!!

The banshee is an awesome machine, and well worth the purchase. Don't be afraid of picking a quad just because you're concerned about what kind of riding you mostly do, but leave that decision based on present performance, and furture performance after some mods. Stock for stock, some quads may out perform others in certian areas, but there's no comparision when a banshee gets a few new toys added to it. :headbang:

im 16, 240lbs, 5'9.

No offense, but being that short, and weighing that much, you may want to consider a raptor or DS 650. Now I'm not saying you're too heavy for a banshee, nor am I pushing 4 strokes, but from a suspension and ride height viewpoint, the raptor or DS would be better. I have a friend who weighs about that much, but he's a bit taller, and 22. When he'd sit on my banshee, it seemed funny looking. The banshee already sits low anyway, but with that much weight, sits even lower. He owns a raptor, and when he sits on it, he sits about even with me on my banshee for the simple fact that the raptor has a higher seat height. The raptor just suits him better.

Power band issues with that much weigh will be an issue as well. The banshee has more power than almost every 4 stroke out there with the exception of a few. A stock banshee won't have much bottom end torque, where as a modified one might, depending on the mods. You'll have to do a lot more clutch/throttle work to keep it moving smoothly and in the peak of the power band. Granted it can be done, but it'll be a bit more tricky with more weight.

As far as the type of riding you do... I do all of that and then some. I've never had a problem riding in any terrain since I put on new tires. Riding various terrain is a bit tricky due to the touchy powerband, but with a little practice, you'll learn clutch/throttle control.

Jumping is easy with a shee. Granted it's not as balanced as a 400EX, but it still gets the job done. The shee has the ability to accelerate quicker than most quads, with a limited amount of space, meaning jumps will be a bit easier when coming out of a short, tight corner. I went to a local track 2 weeks ago for the first time. A week before that I watched bike and quad races there, and a 400EX took first over 2 450Rs, a 250R (female rider), and a YFZ 450 (brand new, rider wasn't owner and didn't have a fucking clue). There was one jump in particular that's a nice 30-40 foot step up, and these guys weren't even clearing it. The EX was coming the closest, but everyone else was hitting in the middle. These guys have memberships and ride this trakc all the time, but when I rode it for the first time, I was pulling faster times than they were, and clearing the jump with little effort. Needless to say, I don't race, and wasn't familiar with the track... but I will be racing soon!!

The banshee is an awesome machine, and well worth the purchase. Don't be afraid of picking a quad just because you're concerned about what kind of riding you mostly do, but leave that decision based on present performance, and furture performance after some mods. Stock for stock, some quads may out perform others in certian areas, but there's no comparision when a banshee gets a few new toys added to it. :headbang:

Excellent post :headbang: .

MIKE

awesome advice, thanks you.

im not sure how much a 2002 raptor goes for (and i dont want an 01!) but i do know what 01's go for in canada, around 4500. I dont know if my dad would pay that much. Im considering building a 250R, but that would take like 3 years for me. If I could have anything it would be an 02 raptor. My dad said he would rather pay monthly for something reliable than to buy a cheap money pitt. So if we found an 02 raptor for like 80 bucks a month, he might do it. But for now, all we have to start out is 1000 (from my dirtbike). I'd much rather have a quad than a bike, because of snow riding. Just how reliable are raptors? I never see 250R's in the paper here.

250r's were manufactured from 1986-1989, the only way you will find those are used. you can go to http://www.cycletrader.com and look for some, they have plenty there. as for the raptor, they are pretty reliable. raptors aren't to good in the sand (for dragging), they dont have that wheel rotation you need like the banshees, but they are the best in the dirt. as for the snow raptors should do pretty good, i never rode in the snow yet. i would prefer a yfz450 over a raptor if your talking 4 stroke, but definately a banshee over anything.

Edited by dEcon

as for the raptor, they are pretty reliable. raptors aren't to good in the sand (for dragging)

my friend has a scraptor and that things broke all the time, but I will say hes a little hard on it cuz he dident pay for it.and as for that raptors not being good for drags.. :lol: there was a raptor out at little sahara that was beating banshee's left and right

Don't go for a 250r. They're not worth it. Expensive parts, most being special order items, and you'll end up spending too much money to make them hang with most quads. Granted they are well balanced like most hondas, and you DID see them alot in most races (before the YFZ 450 hit the market), but you have to consider, the Rs in the races usually have well over 10,000 invested in them and trained professionals doing maintenance.

Raptors are good, I'll admit that much. My friend has put his 02 LE through hell and back, and it still runs strong. Only problem is you'll more than likely get the shaft on a used one. The starter clutches go out faster than a 2 dollar whore running to catch her drug dealer. His went out over 6 months ago, and he hasn't come up with the dough to replace it yet. Actually, he's waiting on me to send him the money I owe him. :rolleyes: The last couple of times we went riding before I moved, I had to pull start him with the shee. We ended up yanking his battery out and using the spot to store the tow rope.

Another thing... it took almost 1100 bucks to be able to beat me in drag races, trails ect. And even then he was only beating my about 2 out of 5 times when he'd get more traction than me. My shee is all stock, and at the time, had the stock tires on the rear. He had to buy a CT exhaust, K&N filter and jets, +4 axle, +2 +1 a-arms, and shredders on the rears. He was getting better traction after that, and had a few more horses to help out. We never got an exact number as far as horsepower, but our mechanic said he still wasn't putting out as much hp as my stock banshee.

As long as you're prepared to put some money into a raptor, I personally think it would be the best quad for you. There's always the YFZ 450 though. :D

as for the raptor, they are pretty reliable. raptors aren't to good in the sand (for dragging)

my friend has a scraptor and that things broke all the time, but I will say hes a little hard on it cuz he dident pay for it.and as for that raptors not being good for drags.. :lol: there was a raptor out at little sahara that was beating banshee's left and right

i own a raptor, mines never breaks down. and i bet that raptor had about 20k put into it, i was refering to recreational riding raptors.

The starter clutches go out faster than a 2 dollar whore running to catch her drug dealer

thats so true. i need to save some money for a new clutch already :wacko: . i mean i can still start my raptor but the clutch is shiet.

Edited by dEcon